Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to store result of grep into a variable? Post 302727515 by twistedpair on Tuesday 6th of November 2012 10:54:59 AM
Old 11-06-2012
Question How to store result of grep into a variable?

In a directory i have a file *output* whose contents are changing for every simulation.
Code:
zgrep "trace file is" *output* | zgrep g

o/p: trace file is Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz

I want to extract "Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz" from the above result into a variable.

i tried this, but getting errors
Code:
$temp='zgrep "trace file is" *output* | zgrep gz';
$final = substr("$temp",15);

plz help

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-06-2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep results to store in a shell variable

I have the results of a grep with -n store in a shell variable ie VAR=`grep -n -e 'PATTERN' file` How ever I am missing the line breaks in the variable , How do I store the resualts of grep with many lines in to a variables. I want the varable should be the sawmway as we do the grep grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store query multiple result in shell script variable(Array)

:) Suppose,I have one table A. Table A have one column. Table A have 10 rows. I want this 10 rows store into shell script variable. like #!/bin/ksh v_shell_var=Hi here in call oracle , through loop How can I store table A's 10 rows into v_shell_var (Shell Script Array). Regards, Div (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: div_Neev
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store grep command in a Variable

I have a variable A echo $A 5060 I am exporting the value X,Y,Z and it id fetching right thing and When I run C=`${X} -l ${Y} ${Z} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; netstat -na | grep \$A`" here it is going to same directory and also running netstat -na | grep 5060 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP/AWK to extract a number and store it as a variable

Hello, I have a question regarding the awk command. Here is the line I need to grep: 1 F= -.13250138E+03 E0= -.13249556E+03 d E =-.174650E-01 mag= 35.2157 Instead of displaying the number in red I would like to store it as a variable such as X. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep attribute value pair and store it a variable

Hi, I have a file contains attribute value pair like.. ..name=erick rollno=583.0 pass=recon.. From the above line, i need to grep for only "rollno" and store "rollno=583.0" in a variable. Pls suggest (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skraja1982
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of the grep is not storred correctly into the variable

I am facing a problem while storring the grep results into a variable. I need to count the occurence of the pattern \, in a file and store that in a variable. I have given the below command p=`grep -c '\\,' filename` But while echoing the variable, i am getting the total number of lines in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renjithv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for string and store last result to variable

Hi, I'm trying to search a text file for a string: "energy(sigma->0)=". To do so, I executed the grep command, which returned many matches, for example: energy without entropy = -112.16486170 energy(sigma->0) = -112.16520778 energy without entropy = -112.16488936 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwr
5 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to store the value of grep in a variable

Hi , I was trying to store the value of a grep command to store in a variable so i can use it somewhere else in my script but i am getting error, i am using bash shell in linux: var= `grep -n "$DATE" testfile.log | head -n 1 | sed -n 's/^\(*\).*/\1/p` echo "$var"I get the error: unexpected... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store result variable

Friends have the following problem: cat $PATH_DAT/mr.txt | nawk 'BEGIN { CantPnt=0; NumReg=0; FS="|" } { NumReg++ CantPnt=CantPnt+int($2) } END{ printf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to store result in variable for other lines in script to use

I can not figure out how to capture the $filename variable store by the bash. #!/bin/bash # oldest folder stored as variable for analysis, version log created, and quality indicators matched to run dir=/home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/test find "$dir" -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)