Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace value using a key from other file Post 302725947 by elixir_sinari on Saturday 3rd of November 2012 03:00:23 AM
Old 11-03-2012
With some assumptions:
Code:
awk '{file=$1
searchstr=$2 " " $3;sstrlen=length(searchstr)
fromthis=$4;tothat=$5
split(file,a,/[.]/);newfile=a[1] "new." a[2]
while(getline < file)
{
 if((strt=index($0,searchstr)))
 {
  p1=substr($0,1,strt+sstrlen-1)
  p2=substr($0,strt+sstrlen)
  sub(fromthis,tothat,p2)
  $0=p1 p2
 }
 print > newfile
}}' datatochange.txt

I accept that this is not a good solution (you might end up replacing wrong values in some cases). But then your lookup file provides no indication about the position/s to attempt search/substitution. In one file, the search is supposed to start at the 24th column and at the 38th column in the other.

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 11-03-2012 at 05:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find replace within a file?

I build several files by using the cut command to grab select fields(columns) from a really bid csv file. Each file is one column of data. I then put them together using paste command. Here is the code built in tcsh: cut -d , -f 1 some.csv > 1.csv cut -d , -f 10 some.csv > 10.csv paste 1.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yankee428
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a text inside a file based on a xml key

<c-param> <param-name>Number</param-name> <param-value>22</param-value> <description>my house number</description> </c-param> <c-param> <param-name>Address</param-name> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a file

Hi everyone, I am new to the world of shell script programming. I have a file named Fnd1.txt which has the contents as below. I need to replace the \t with the tab space. Can any one help me to write a perl scipt for this. USA45V1\tG\t341029 USAV1T1\tG\t450545 USAREJ1\tG\t572645... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a gz file

Is there a way to do a find and replace in a .gz file in a single script ? I can always unzip, find and replace and then zip it again but would hate to do this everytime. Thanks ! Vivek (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vashah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell problem: using a key from one file to find data in another

I've never written scripts (just switched from Ada to C++). I have a book that's over my head and a few examples, other then that I'm floundering. Everything here at work is being done in C Shell. None of the C++ programmers are experienced in shell scripting. I have a data file with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bassmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in File

Legends, I have a file /tmp/list.txt I want to find "/bin/" and replace it with "/log/" I tried the follwoing but no luck Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e 's/\/bin\/\/log\/' /tmp/list.txt >> /tmp/try Substitution pattern not terminated at -e line 1. AND, Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Key and replace value

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I have a config file where key and value is stored as below. In my shell script, I want to look for Test ID in the config file and replace the value 1 with another value stored in a variable. How would I do that ? <Config Key="Test ID" Value="1"/> I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnuvardhanh
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to find and replace in a file

Hi All, I am having below sample data in a file. I need to find all the line form this file with word ABC and i need to replace the characters at position 120 which is "CO:BOGFDUI"(30chars) in the lines with blank space. I have tried using grep to find the word with ABC (grep ABC filename),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.16.3 2013-02-26 bytes(3pm)