Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run a command on each line of a text file Post 302723793 by Tribe on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 07:05:05 PM
Old 10-30-2012
Run a command on each line of a text file

Say I have a text file, with several lines. Each line may contain spaces or the # symbol.

For each line, I want to pass that line as the path of a file, in order to add it to a tar file.

I've tried this but doesn't work:

Code:
cat contents.txt | xargs -0 `tar -uvf contents.tar $1`

Any ideas?

Note: I've tried tar with -T option but would like to do it another way.

I've tried as well this but separates lines containing spaces:
Code:
for i in $(cat file)
 do
 #do your stuff to $i here
 done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace text in a file from the command line...

I am having to do a lot of searching thru files to replace words. Is there a command that i can run that will alow me to hunt thru a group of files and replace one word with another without having to open each file idividually? -thanks;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dudboy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get ssh to run a command in one line?

How would I combine something like: localserver# ssh remoteserver remoteserver# find blah blah blah into a one liner that would ssh to the remote server and run the find command, so I could put it in a script to automatically go out and run things on remote servers with out needed user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is command line invocation of gnome-terminal to run more than one command possible?

Hello, I am trying to learn how to pass something more than a one-command startup for gnome-terminal. I will give an example of what I'm trying to do here: #! /bin/bash # #TODO write this for gnome and xterm USAGE=" ______________________________________________ ${0##*/} run... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line and run a different command according to the output

Hi. I'm trying to write a script that reads a line on a file and runs a different command for a different line output. For example, if it finds the word "Kuku" on the line it sends mail to Kuku@kuku.com. Otherwise, it sends mail to Lulu@lulu.com. TIA. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Doojek9
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple command in a single line?

Normally i would do this- cd abc ls -ltr I wish to run above command in a single line, like this- cd abc | ls -ltr But above command doesn't works, it simply runs the second command, ignoring the 1st one. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boy18nj
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script as root from command line

I have a script (ksh) that has permissions 775 and owned by root.system. This script takes the parameter of a full file name and chmods the file to 666 and changes ownership to user smith.staff. ex: modify_file.ksh /home/smith/filea modify_file.ksh has 775 and root.system ownership. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlacriola
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Su and run single line command

myenv.sh script sets LOG_DIR variable. I can run the script and echo the variable in a single line as: # First set LOG_DIR to some dummy 'NONE' value $ export LOG_DIR="NONE" $ echo ${LOG_DIR} NONE $ cat /tmp/bin/myenv.sh export LOG_DIR="/tmp/log" #The below command doesn't show the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass each line of a text file as an argument to a command?

I'm looking to write a script that takes a .txt filename as an argument, reads the file line by line, and passes each line to a command. For example, it runs command --option "LINE 1", then command --option "LINE 2", etc. I am fetching object files from a library file, I have all the object file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Martins
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in txt file and run a different command for each line

hi, i'm trying to write a tcsh script that reads in a text file (one column) and the runs a different command for each line of text. i've found lots of example commands for bash, but not for tcsh. can anyone give me a hint? thanks, jill (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuinha
8 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)