Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Newbie PATH command question... Post 302722969 by xbin on Monday 29th of October 2012 06:39:02 AM
Old 10-29-2012
Use MacPorts and install mod_perl. This should build the module with perl5.16 for Apache. Permanently disabling the OS distribution is not a good idea. What shell are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

hi im thinking of getting unix but i have no idea where to start I know that its an OS similar to linux but what hardware does in run on? i've heard of solaris but im not quit sure what it is thankxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninja
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Question

Hi, I have a file, that is delimited by :: and the purpose of this file is none of your business. ;) There are about 65000 lines in this file, and there are lines that I would like to remove. About 45000 of them. Is there some sort of commands that I can run, to remove word(s) from this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3gh05t
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very new newbie question

sorry if im not asking inthe right spot but, how do you turn the beeping off every time you hit a key onthe keyboard. I tried the click -n but it told me it didnt recognize click any help would be greatly appreciated ( the beeping is not going over well in the surrounding cubicles) thank you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Split100
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

newbie question

hey all, I have repeatedly seen scripts containing the following syntax, grep "hello" $myfile >> $log 2>&1 can anyone explain exactly what "2>&1" mean? THANK YOU (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

I am taking a db classes toward oracle 10g. I am taking unix as well . I need to know what is the best option for os . should I use linux fedora. or get a sun box and start learning from there. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xzyan
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question: if[command not null]

hi, i have to put in my script a command that should tell me if the contents of two different paths are the same. I thought to write an "if" command who makes the diff of two files which contains the `ls` of the folders and go on with the script if is not null, but i'm afraid of the fact... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zangarules
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does this do (newbie question)...

I was looking through some code online and came accross this... ls *.txt | grep text1 | cat file1 – file2 | `echo wc –l` I know what "ls|grep text1" does and I know a word count gets echoed but beyond that I am confused. Please use layman terms as much as possible as I am a newbie. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elohssa
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
Catalyst::Manual::Deployment::Apache::mod_perl(3pm)	User Contributed Perl Documentation    Catalyst::Manual::Deployment::Apache::mod_perl(3pm)

NAME
Catalyst::Manual::Deployment::Apache::mod_perl - Deploying Catalyst with mod_perl mod_perl Deployment The recommended method of deploying Catalyst applications is FastCGI. In many cases, mod_perl is not the best solution, but we'll list some pros and cons so you can decide for yourself. Pros Speed mod_perl is fast, and your entire app will be loaded in memory within each Apache process. Shared memory for multiple apps If you need to run several Catalyst apps on the same server, mod_perl will share the memory for common modules. Cons Memory usage Since your application is fully loaded in memory, every Apache process will be rather large. This means a large Apache process will be tied up while serving static files, large files, or dealing with slow clients. For this reason, it is best to run a two-tiered web architecture with a lightweight frontend server passing dynamic requests to a large backend mod_perl server. Reloading Any changes made to the code of your app require a full restart of Apache. Catalyst does not support Apache::Reload or StatINC. This is another good reason to run a frontend web server where you can set up an "ErrorDocument 502" page to report that your app is down for maintenance. Cannot run multiple versions of the same app It is not possible to run two different versions of the same application in the same Apache instance because the namespaces will collide. Cannot run different versions of libraries If you have two different applications which run on the same machine, and each application needs a different versions of a library, the only way to do this is to have per-vhost perl interpreters (with different library paths). This is entirely possible, but nullifies all the memory sharing benefits that you get from having multiple applications sharing the same interpreter. Setup Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about setting up mod_perl to run a Catalyst app. 2. Install Apache with mod_perl Both Apache 1.3 and Apache 2 are supported, although Apache 2 is highly recommended. With Apache 2, make sure you are using the prefork MPM and not the worker MPM. The reason for this is that many Perl modules are not thread-safe and may have problems running within the threaded worker environment. Catalyst is thread-safe however, so if you know what you're doing, you may be able to run using worker. In Debian, the following commands should get you going. apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork apt-get install libapache2-mod-perl2 3. Configure your application Every Catalyst application will automagically become a mod_perl handler when run within mod_perl. This makes the configuration extremely easy. Here is a basic Apache 2 configuration. PerlSwitches -I/var/www/MyApp/lib PerlModule MyApp <Location /> SetHandler modperl PerlResponseHandler MyApp </Location> The most important line here is "PerlModule MyApp". This causes mod_perl to preload your entire application into shared memory, including all of your controller, model, and view classes and configuration. If you have -Debug mode enabled, you will see the startup output scroll by when you first start Apache. Also, there have been reports that the block above should instead be (but this has not been confirmed): <Perl> use lib '/var/www/MyApp/lib'; use MyApp; </Perl> <Location /> SetHandler modperl PerlResponseHandler MyApp </Location> For an example Apache 1.3 configuration, please see the documentation for Catalyst::Engine::Apache::MP13. Test It That's it, your app is now a full-fledged mod_perl application! Try it out by going to http://your.server.com/. Other Options Non-root location You may not always want to run your app at the root of your server or virtual host. In this case, it's a simple change to run at any non- root location of your choice. <Location /myapp> SetHandler modperl PerlResponseHandler MyApp </Location> When running this way, it is best to make use of the "uri_for" method in Catalyst for constructing correct links. Static file handling Static files can be served directly by Apache for a performance boost. DocumentRoot /var/www/MyApp/root <Location /static> SetHandler default-handler </Location> This will let all files within root/static be handled directly by Apache. In a two-tiered setup, the frontend server should handle static files. The configuration to do this on the frontend will vary. Note the path of the application needs to be stated explicitly in the web server configuration for this recipes. AUTHORS
Catalyst Contributors, see Catalyst.pm COPYRIGHT
This library is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-20 Catalyst::Manual::Deployment::Apache::mod_perl(3pm)