Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to modify the script to include cat function Post 302720593 by rdrtx1 on Wednesday 24th of October 2012 12:11:17 PM
Old 10-24-2012
try:
Code:
for i in {1..1000}
do
grep "AT"  data$i.hsq | cut -f2
done >> new_file

This User Gave Thanks to rdrtx1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Script creation (how to include options in the script)

Hi guys i have written a script which takes the options given to him and execute itself accordingly. for example if a script name is doctortux then executing doctortux without option should made doctortux to be executed in automatic mode i.e. doctortux -a or if a doctortux is needed to run in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat arguments to a function

Hi, I've a logging function in bourne shell, flog() which logs the first argument passed to it. How can I pass arguments to this function from a file, like cat filename | sed '...filtering...' | flog or cat filename | sed '...filtering...' | xargs flog Which did not work, after which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Random_Net
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include a text pattern in system function in PERL

Pleeeeease help.. I'm working in perl i have a system function to check whether a file is readable for others or not. i just want to print a text in that command my command is : system ("ls -la $filename | awk '\$1~ /^-......r../ {print \$9}'"); i know for displaying text in awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhamsachdeva
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Pl/sql function in shell script to modify csv

I need to 1.Open a csv 2.Process the csv i.e. Modify 2 column in the csv. To modify the column the value needs to be passed to a pl/sql function and the return value should be updated For eg: If column 2 E,then E will be passed in database function which will return Employee. 3. Write a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chinky23
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I modify my script to include or substitute missing data?

Let me start off by saying I am a self taught sometimes scripter so what you will see below won't be pretty. I have created a script to parse through a file with a large amount of data and simply pull out what I need. In doing this I create several files and then paste them together in order to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsanchez
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

C++ Attempting to modify this function to read from a (;) semi-colon-separated file

After some thought. I am uncomfortable issuing my professors name where, there may be unintended side effects from any negative responses/feedback. Willing to re post if I can omit school / professor publicly, but can message moderator for validation? I am here for knowledge and understanding,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Modify File Name in each function before calling another function.

I have a script which does gunzip, zip and untar. Input to the script is file name and file directory (where file is located) I am reading the input parameters as follows: FILENAME=$1 FILEDIR=$2 I have created 3 functions that are as follows: 1) gunzip file 2) unzip file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to modify the cat command to highlight a chosen word?

Hi, I'm fairly new to programming and was just wondering... Is it possible to modify the cat command (using a linux virtual machine) so that it displays text of a file and highlights a specifically chosen word? I've been looking for how to do it on the internet and can't find any helpful... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IndigoFox
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)