Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zero typing problem!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Zero typing problem! Post 302718153 by Scott on Friday 19th of October 2012 08:23:02 AM
Old 10-19-2012
Strange!

You can use basename to get the last part of a path.

As sh means sh in Solaris, that's probably the easiest approach.

Edit: Seing that it's backslashes, not forward slashes, basename might not cut it, but I don't understand if those are normal (ASCII) zero's why sed would behave this way.

Edit 2: Duh! Because sed treats \0 as a Null character!

Edit 3: That was a duh @ me, not a duh @ you Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hiding Passwords while typing..

Hi, We need ur advice,... We are integrating our application (oracle) with OID,and OID is with another team. While integrating they have to provide their 'ADMIN-password' when the script prompts ,But the password they are about type is visible. If this is the case they are denying it,.... Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrs
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stuck after typing goto

uname -a returns: SMP Tue May 17 17:52:23 EDT 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux I have many aliases beginning with "goto" so... if I type goto and then hit return (oops) A goto prompt pops up and I cant exit from it(I tried MANY key seqs) The only way to exit is to kill the term window... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rairey
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Learn typing in Chinese

I have a burning desire to learn how to type in chinese (and after, probably with success, in another languages). How to do this, all symbols are needed, and methods of input also. And a map of chinese keyboar layout will be helpful. I want very much study program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

No output to CL when typing in CL.

Hello all, I am in a terminal on Solaris and something weird is happening... When I am typing I can't see what I am typing, although what I am typing is working. As is if I type the command and hit enter, the command runs. Anyone have a clue why or how I can make it display my typing? Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining typing latency

Hi all, When I use an editor (vi) that is spawned in a remote server, visually I could see the latency between typing a character/word and being displayed on the terminal. I could see this visually but how do I get a metric on this or how to quantify this? As expected, when I type in a editor... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No $ when typing cw

Hi As a dummy my question is very simple. When typing cw I've read (many times) that a '$' should appear at the end of the word I'm about to change. However, it doesn't, and in my case the word is instantly deleted and so ready to be changed! Can somebody tell me why this is, or maybe I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joesh
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

@ typing creates new line

Dear Concern, Please go through the article https://www.unix.com/hp-ux/134072-typing-sign-creates-new-line.html As per the article, we need to initiate below commands. But after creating new session, we face same problem. Please advise. stty intr "^c" stty kill "^u" Please find below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
6 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
[file] DESCRIPTION
makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It starts a shell named by the environment variable, or by default and silently records a copy of output to your terminal from that shell or its descendents, using a pseudo-terminal device (see pty(7)). All output is written to file, or appended to file if the option is given. If no file name is given, the output is saved in a file named The recording can be sent to a line printer later with lp(1), or reviewed safely with the option of cat(1). The recording ends when the forked shell exits (or the user ends the session by typing "exit") or the shell and all its descendents close the pseudo-terminal device. This program is useful when operating a CRT display and a hard-copy record of the dialog is desired. It can also be used for a simple form of session auditing. respects the convention for login shells as described in su(1), sh(1), and ksh(1). Thus, if it is invoked with a command name beginning with a hyphen (that is, passes a basename to the shell that is also preceded by a hyphen. The input flow control can be enabled by setting environmental variable before running Please see section for details on using this envi- ronment variable. EXAMPLES
Save everything printed on the user's screen into file Append a copy of everything printed to the user's screen to file WARNINGS
A command such as which displays the contents of the destination file, should not be issued while executing because it would cause to log the output of the command to itself until all available disk space is filled. Other commands, such as more(1), can cause the same problem but to a lesser degree. records all received output in the file, including typing errors, backspaces, and cursor motions. Note that it does not record typed char- acters; only echoed characters. Thus passwords are not recorded in the file. Responses other than simple echoes (such as output from screen-oriented editors and command editing) are recorded as they appeared in the original session. When there is no input flow control is not set), there can be some data loss while using However, script(1) can behave unexpectedly, if is set and is not set. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. script(1)