Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about REGEX Patterns and Case Sensitivity? Post 302715903 by mrm5102 on Monday 15th of October 2012 04:18:06 PM
Old 10-15-2012
Question about REGEX Patterns and Case Sensitivity?

Hello All,

I'm in the middle of a script and I'm doing some checks with REGEX (i.e. using the '[[' ).

I'm wondering if this example is correct or if its just a coincidence. But I thought that if I did not use the "shopt -s nocasematch"
that at least the first one should print "FALSE" but it prints "TRUE"..?

For Example:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

MY_VAR="HELLO"

### This prints "TRUE"
PATTERN_1="^[a-z]*"
if [[ $MY_VAR =~ $PATTERN_1 ]]
 then
    echo "TRUE"
else
    echo "FALSE"
fi

echo "-------------------------"

### This prints "FALSE"
PATTERN_2="^[A-z]*"
if [[ $MY_VAR =~ $PATTERN_2 ]]
 then
    echo "TRUE"
else
    echo "FALSE"
fi

echo "-------------------------"

### This prints "TRUE"
PATTERN_3="[a-Z]*"
if [[ $MY_VAR =~ $PATTERN_3 ]]
 then
    echo "TRUE"
else
    echo "FALSE"
fi

The OUTPUT:
Code:
TRUE
-------------------------
FALSE
-------------------------
TRUE

I remember being told before that the pattern "[A-z]" is NOT the same as doing "[A-Za-z]" like it would be in Perl...
So I'm wondering why the pattern "[a-Z]", which is the last if statement in the code above, returns "TRUE", when
the 2nd if statement above "[A-z]" returns "FALSE"...?

I tried changing the Variable "$MY_VAR" from all upper case to all lowercase, but I still get the same output...
And lastly, if I include the "shopt -s nocasematch" they all return "TRUE"...

If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions that would be great!

FYI:
Bash Version:

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Case sensitivity

Is there any way of stopping UNIX from being case sensitive? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taveirne
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

anchoring regex using case and ksh

Outside this process I built a file containing snmp response filtering for hostname, model type and ios version. I want to get a count across the network of those devices running 11.x code, 12.0 mainline, 12.0 T train and above, 12.1 and above and OS levels. This works ok .. but its cheap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash regex =~ case insensetive, possible?

It can get very annoying that bash regex =~ is case-sensetive, is there a way to set it to be case-insensetive? if ]; then echo match else echo no match fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] recognise new line regex in case statement

Hi, I'm trying to write a routine to parse a file that contains data that will be read into arrays. The file is composed of labels to identify data types and arbitrary lines of data with the usual remarks and empty new lines as is common with config files. The initial pass is built as so:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture values using multiple regex patterns

I have to read the file, in each line of file i need to get 2 values using more than one search pattern. ex: <0112 02:12:20 def > /some string/some string||some string||124 i donot have same delimiter in the line, I have to read '0112 02:12:20' which is timestamp, and last field '124' which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adars1
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to ignore CAPS or case sensitivity?

If I'm using a program that is expecting certain filenames and directories to be all CAPS, isn't there a way to ignore this in linux/cshell scripting? I.e., similiar to ignoring spaces with " (i.e., directory is directory 1, can ignore by typing "directory 1".) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebazon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search by patterns case

42 network read failed sv1 sv23 sv4 sv11 sv23 sv5 sv 7 48 client hostname could not be found sv21 sv78 sv19 sv22 sv111 sv203 sv5 sv 33 49 client did not start sv1 sv21 54 timed out connecting to client sv2 sv4 sv12 above is my file , I'd like to use a script to list all name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex patterns

can someone please confirm for me if i'm right: the pattern: ORA-0*(600?|7445|4) can someone give me an idea of all the entries the pattern above will grab from a database log file? is it looking for the following strings?: ORA-0600 ORA-7445 4) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text between exact matching patterns to Title case

Hi Folks, I have a large text file with multiple similar patterns on each line like: blank">PATTERN1 some word PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1 some word PATTERN2 blank">PATTERN1 another word PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1 another word PATTERN2 blank">PATTERN1 one more time PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
10 Replies

10. Programming

Regarding a GREAT site for understanding and Visualizing regex patterns.

Hello All, While googling on regex I came across a site named Regulex Regulex:JavaScript Regular Expression Visualizer I have written a simple regex ^(a|b|c)(*)@(.*) and could see its visualization; one could export it too, following is the screen shot. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
3 Replies
Data::Munge(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Data::Munge(3pm)

NAME
Data::Munge - various utility functions SYNOPSIS
use Data::Munge; my $re = list2re qw/foo bar baz/; print byval { s/foo/bar/ } $text; foo(mapval { chomp } @lines); print replace('Apples are round, and apples are juicy.', qr/apples/i, 'oranges', 'g'); print replace('John Smith', qr/(w+)s+(w+)/, '$2, $1'); DESCRIPTION
This module defines a few generally useful utility functions. I got tired of redefining or working around them, so I wrote this module. Functions list2re LIST Converts a list of strings to a regex that matches any of the strings. Especially useful in combination with "keys". Example: my $re = list2re keys %hash; $str =~ s/($re)/$hash{$1}/g; byval BLOCK SCALAR Takes a code block and a value, runs the block with $_ set to that value, and returns the final value of $_. The global value of $_ is not affected. $_ isn't aliased to the input value either, so modifying $_ in the block will not affect the passed in value. Example: foo(byval { s/!/?/g } $str); # Calls foo() with the value of $str, but all '!' have been replaced by '?'. # $str itself is not modified. mapval BLOCK LIST Works like a combination of "map" and "byval"; i.e. it behaves like "map", but $_ is a copy, not aliased to the current element, and the return value is taken from $_ again (it ignores the value returned by the block). Example: my @foo = mapval { chomp } @bar; # @foo contains a copy of @bar where all elements have been chomp'd. # This could also be written as chomp(my @foo = @bar); but that's not # always possible. submatches Returns a list of the strings captured by the last successful pattern match. Normally you don't need this function because this is exactly what "m//" returns in list context. However, "submatches" also works in other contexts such as the RHS of "s//.../e". replace STRING, REGEX, REPLACEMENT, FLAG replace STRING, REGEX, REPLACEMENT A clone of javascript's "String.prototype.replace". It works almost the same as "byval { s/REGEX/REPLACEMENT/FLAG } STRING", but with a few important differences. REGEX can be a string or a compiled "qr//" object. REPLACEMENT can be a string or a subroutine reference. If it's a string, it can contain the following replacement patterns: $$ Inserts a '$'. $& Inserts the matched substring. $` Inserts the substring preceding the match. $' Inserts the substring following the match. $N (where N is a digit) Inserts the substring matched by the Nth capturing group. ${N} (where N is one or more digits) Inserts the substring matched by the Nth capturing group. Note that these aren't variables; they're character sequences interpreted by "replace". If REPLACEMENT is a subroutine reference, it's called with the following arguments: First the matched substring (like $& above), then the contents of the capture buffers (as returned by "submatches"), then the offset where the pattern matched (like "$-[0]", see "@-" in perlvar), then the STRING. The return value will be inserted in place of the matched substring. Normally only the first occurrence of REGEX is replaced. If FLAG is present, it must be 'g' and causes all occurrences to be replaced. AUTHOR
Lukas Mai, "<l.mai at web.de>" COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2009-2011 Lukas Mai. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either: the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; or the Artistic License. See http://dev.perl.org/licenses/ for more information. perl v5.12.4 2011-08-03 Data::Munge(3pm)