Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PERL - issue with OPEN
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL - issue with OPEN Post 302714439 by chris01010 on Friday 12th of October 2012 07:31:48 AM
Old 10-12-2012
PERL - issue with OPEN

Hi,

I have a menu script written in PERL which calls some shell scripts and displays the return.

I'm having a problem with OPEN. A section of the code is below:

Code:
`./scriptlist.ksh 1`;
      open OUTPUT, "</home/$SCRIPTUSER/output";
      {
      local $/ = undef;
      $_ = <OUTPUT>;
      }
      ($var) = m/^(CRESTUSER.*\d)$/sm;
      print "$var\n\n";
      close OUTPUT;
      open FILE, ">/home/$SCRIPTUSER/reports/ISOBacklog.rpt\n";
      print FILE "$var\n"; close FILE;
      pressEnter();

$SCRIPTUSER is declared in the profile, so is an environment variable.

The write to FILE in the second bit of the function works correctly, but the OPEN of the OUTPUT doesn't (i.e. nothing prints to screen). If however I change the OPEN to

Code:
open OUTPUT, "./output";

and put the file output in the local directory it works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by bakunin; 10-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: sorry, momentarily confused moderator

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

open solaris FTP issue

Hi, I want to ftp from my virtual box to my desktop which is a windows machine. I have installed open solaris on my virtual box. though that is in network i am unable to ftp to my windows and vice versa. Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amult
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl window.open without blocker

Hi Everyone, We know that when we open a popup window, if my IE, Yahoo tool bar enable the popup-blocker, then my window will be blocked. like my code. print <<EOD; <script language=JavaScript> var s = new String(window.location.href); if (s.match(/Start/)){ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl open a remote shell

Hello , I am writing a script which takes the user name , password and hostname from the database and login to the server . I am only able to login to the server and my script logs out and only I can run few command if I provide those command in my script else I am not able to run those... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help !! perl open function

Help Please perl Gurus, I am trying to add ungrouped passengers in a group and I creating a script however it fails on first step only I tried all the options it returns following error. syntax error at junki line 4, near "open " Execution of junki aborted due to compilation errors. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Grep open file more then once.

Hi, I am using File::Find to go through a very large tree. I am looking for all xml files and open only those that contain a tag <Updated>. I then want to capture the contents of two tags <Old> and <New>. My problem is, after I open the file and do the first grep for <Updated> (which does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OldGaf
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File processed in Unix had issue open using notepad

Dear all, I had a columned based file after processed from my script. In unix platform, my file is ok, with all columns sorted out nicely. But when i open in windows notepad, the columns are running out of order. Can some one help?? Thanks alot in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymeyaw
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

open a webpage through perl script

Hi All Can anyone please help me how to open a webpage suppose(Google) with the help of perl script and refresh it after every 5 minutes. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
0 Replies

8. Solaris

ulimit issue with open files descriptor

We have lots of error with "Too many open files" issue. So when I increase the limit to 36656 as suggested by this forum, and when i log out from the platform, it always went back to origin value, what has went wrong ? please any suggestion ? root@hsbc_milan> ulimit -a core file size ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open vi with a command issue

Solaris 5.8, ksh I need to open everyone's favorite editor, vi of course, with a command that will place me on a search string at the time of invocation: Given this data file: user1 pts/1 Aug 29 13:22 (10.12.214.101) user2 pts/2 Aug 29 09:56 (10.12.212.132) user3 pts/3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : corrupted excelsheet while trying to open

Hi folks, I am trying to send the mail with spreadsheet attachment in perl.I am able to send the mail with xlsx attachment as well but not able to open the xlsx sheet.While opening the sheet I am receiving the corrupted message. Below is the code. use MIME::Lite; use Net::SMTP; ###... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies
OPEN(2) 							System Calls Manual							   OPEN(2)

NAME
open, create, close - open a file for reading or writing, create file SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> int open(char *file, int omode) int create(char *file, int omode, ulong perm) int close(int fd) DESCRIPTION
Open opens the file for I/O and returns an associated file descriptor. Omode is one of OREAD, OWRITE, ORDWR, or OEXEC, asking for permis- sion to read, write, read and write, or execute, respectively. In addition, there are three values that can be ORed with the omode: OTRUNC says to truncate the file to zero length before opening it; OCEXEC says to close the file when an exec(2) or execl system call is made; and ORCLOSE says to remove the file when it is closed (by everyone who has a copy of the file descriptor). Open fails if the file does not exist or the user does not have permission to open it for the requested purpose (see stat(2) for a description of permissions). The user must have write permission on the file if the OTRUNC bit is set. For the open system call (unlike the implicit open in exec(2)), OEXEC is actually identical to OREAD. Create creates a new file or prepares to rewrite an existing file, opens it according to omode (as described for open), and returns an associated file descriptor. If the file is new, the owner is set to the userid of the creating process group; the group to that of the containing directory; the permissions to perm ANDed with the permissions of the containing directory. If the file already exists, it is truncated to 0 length, and the permissions, owner, and group remain unchanged. The created file is a directory if the CHDIR bit is set in omode. It is an exclusive-use file if the CHEXCL bit is set. Such files may be open for I/O by only one client at a time, but the file descriptor may become invalid if no I/O is done for an extended period; see open(5). Create fails if the path up to the last element of file cannot be evaluated, if the user doesn't have write permission in the final direc- tory, or if the file already exists and does not permit the access defined by omode. If the file is new and the directory in which it is created is a union directory (see intro(2)) then the constituent directory where the file is created depends on the structure of the union: see bind(2). Close closes the file associated with a file descriptor. Provided the file descriptor is a valid open descriptor, close is guaranteed to close it; there will be no error. Files are closed automatically upon termination of a process; close allows the file descriptor to be reused. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/9syscall SEE ALSO
intro(2), bind(2), stat(2) DIAGNOSTICS
These functions set errstr. OPEN(2)