Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging two tab separated files via nawk Post 302713645 by divergenciya on Thursday 11th of October 2012 04:42:54 AM
Old 10-11-2012
I sorted files and then used join -1 1 -2 1 file1 fil2 but it gives me zero output
I tried the following code:
Code:
nawk -F\t 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=$0;next} ($1 in a) 'file1 file2

it works almost well,but it doesnt give me the value of the column according to which Im sorting
So it gives the following result
file 1:
Code:
xx1 y1 y2
xx2 y1 y2
xx3  y1 y2

file 2
Code:
xx1 z1 
xx2 z2
xx3 z3 
xx4 z4
xx5 z5

and as output Im receiving
Code:
z1 z2 z3

and I cant figure out how to make it printing at least the first column
its strange that if I add if statement it doesnt see array values anymore

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-11-2012 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse file into tab separated columns

Hello, I am trying to parse a file that resembles the last three groupings into something looking like the first two lines. I've fiddled with sed and awk a bit, but can't get anything to work properly. I need them separated by some delimiter. The file is some 23,000 lines of the stuff.... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkozel
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files into a single tab delimited file with a space separating

I have a folder that contains say 50 files in a sequential order: cdf_1.txt cdf_2.txt cdf_3.txt cdf_3.txt . . . cdf_50.txt. I need to merge these files in the same order into a single tab delimited file. I used the following shell script: for x in {1..50}; do cat cdf_${x}.txt >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two columns separated by a tab

witam potrzebuje polecenia porownujacego koumny na podstawie n-ostatnich znakow danej linnijki tj mam 2 koumny AiB zawierajace ciag dowolnych znakow (dlugosci w kazdej linijce mga byc rozne wiec uzycie substra odpada) A B ewewewabc nbgujnnabc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toudi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a tab separated file using bash

Dear all, I have a file in this format (like a matrix) - A B C .. X A 1 4 2 .. 2 B 2 6 4 .. 8 C 3 5 5 .. 4 . . . ... . X . . ... . and want to convert it into a file with this format: A A = 1 A B = 4 A C = 2 ... A X = 2 B A = 2 B B = 6 etc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab-separated file to matrix conversion

hello all, i have an input file like that A A X0 A B X1 A C X2 ... A Z Xx B A X1 B B X3 .... Z A Xx Z B X4 and i want to have an output like that A B C D A X0 X1 X2 Xy B X1 X3 X4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace row separated by tab

Dear users, I have this problem, this is the example: 123 (tab) A (tab) B (tab) C (tab) 456 where the (tab) is actually the \t delimiter. I need to replace the A B and C for D E and F, this is: 123 (tab) D (tab) E (tab) F (tab) 456 The thing is that my file is quite long and this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a tab separated file

Hi, I have created a tab separated file from the following input file. ADDRESS1 CITY STATE POSTAL COUNTRY LON LAT 32 PRINZREGENTENSTRASSE ROSENHEIM BAYERN 83022 DEU 1212182 4785699 263 VIA DANTE ALIGHIERI BARI PUGLIA 70122 ITA 1686233 4112154 30 VIA MILANO ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace & with and in tab separated file?

Hi, I have a tab separated. I want to replace all the "&" in 8th column of the file with "and" .I am trying with awk -F, -vOFS=\\t '{$8=($8=="&")?"and":$8}1' test> test1.txt My file is abc def ghk hjk lkm hgb jkluy acvf & bhj hihuhu fgg me mine he her go went has has & had hgf hgy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two special character separated files based on pattern matching

Hi. I have 2 files of below format. File1 AA~1~STEVE~3.1~4.1~5.1 AA~2~DANIEL~3.2~4.2~5.2 BB~3~STEVE~3.3~4.3~5.3 BB~4~TIM~3.4~4.4~5.4 File 2 AA~STEVE~AA STEVE WORKS at AUTO COMPANY AA~DANIEL~AA DANIEL IS A ELECTRICIAN BB~STEVE~BB STEVE IS A COOK I want to match 1st and 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk output separated by tab

In the gawk below, I am trying to output the file tab-deliminated but don't think that is the correct syntax. Thank you :). gawk OFS='/t' '{sub(/-+/,"",$2); ar=$0} END{n = asort(ar) for (i = 1; i <= n; i++) print ar}' file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)