Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting substitution to mulitple files Post 302713483 by ramn214 on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 09:09:00 PM
Old 10-10-2012
substitution to mulitple files

Hello all,

I am trying to make a script that will apply a substitution to any number of files given on the command line.
Example would be

~/Unix/script/subst car boat myFile1.txt myFile2.txt myFile3.txt

This is the code I have so far but it does not function as needed.
Code:
PAT=$1
shift
REPL=$1
shift

for FILE in $*
do
mv $3 $3.bak
sed "s/$1/$2/g" $3.bak > $3
done

Looking for any pointers.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Update text files in place (string substitution) ??

The auditors have nailed us for world writeable files.... Apparently in years gone by, quite a number of our kornshell scripts have had: umask 000 put in the script. We have been able to turn off world writeable for existing dirs & files, but as these scripts run, new files keep getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kornshellmaven
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing to mulitple printers

I want to send a single report from my application to mulitple printers with one command. I tried using a synomym and assigning it to different printers, but it stops when it finds the first hit. Has anyone done this at the unix level through printcap? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with mulitple FS

Hi, I would like to get 5th field from this output using FS. Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on 172.29.138.222:/vol/vol0 311936256 2565248 309371008 1% /tmp/test My command is df -kP | awk ' BEGIN { FS="" ; } { print $5 ; } ' For some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
5 Replies

4. Linux

Multiple files and word substitution

Hi , I have bunch of sql file which contain UHCDEV01 in them . I want to replace all the UHCDEV01 with UHCETL01 in all the files. I have written this code which shows correct output on sh -x but doesn't change the output file . #cat change_dbname.shl #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: capri_drm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on Mulitple files mutliple actions

Hi all, I have mistkanely gzipped twice an entire folder and sub folders, and also renamed the files during that process. I am trying to undo this, and I need help to create the batch to work on it. All folders are under my images directory, I have a output.txt file that holds all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saariko
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Mulitple files using For loop in Perl

Hi All, I have a total of ten file to open in the Perl script and i am using a for loop to open each file and capture some strings inside each file. Unfortunately, i encounter the below syntax error. I think there should be something wrong with this term reports_${counting}_${_}.txt but i do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Find/Replace Javascript Injected Strings in mulitple files

Hi, guys, I'm not a high-end programmer, but I've been trying to write a script to remove all of the b.rtbn2.cn (and b.adserv.cn and any future variation) injected script tags on the server. (Still working on security fixes to prevent it in the future, just need to clean up now.) My approach is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zzlegs
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mulitple grep using tail

I have a basic tail/grep question. I have logs that are generated & kept in a directory called alert_audit. I am using "tail" to see the logs that are coming in, but I only need logs that contain the IP address 10.249.185. or 10.247.231. Here is the command I have, but it pulls all IP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertson1995
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP failed to copy mulitple files from multiple directory

I am using below scripts to copy all the files from multiple folders. By executing individually command i am able to copy all the files but using scripts only getting first file. System is ignoring the second CD and mget command. HOST=server.com USER=loginid PASSWD="abc" echo "open $HOST... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetvipin
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparision between 2 files and substitution in third

Hi All, I have two files in the following format. File 1 : 1044|1|20121031|2910039.4|MR|201210|G1044|E 1082|2|20121031|1664662.84|MR|201210|G1082|E 1696|3|20121031|190801.5|MR|201210|G1696|E 1824|4|20121031|196350|MR|201210|G1824|E 1900|5|20121031|221447.8|MR|201210|G1900|E File 2 :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
7 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)