Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Need Help, I want to reset password for Sun Fire T2000 Server Post 302712453 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 9th of October 2012 07:58:43 AM
Old 10-09-2012
Well, are we to assume that you don't know the root password? You haven't really said. If this is the case then you may need to boot from original media. Be careful not to run the install though. That could be very damaging.

You will need to know the disk slice that the root filesystem is on by a target address.

From the boot prompt (after a STOP-A keystroke combination) type boot cdrom -s and the server should start from the optical drive. When the dummy server is running (all in memory) get hold of your filesystem such as below:-
Code:
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d6s0 /mnt
cd /mnt/etc
vi shadow

You should then be able to delete the encrypted password, save the file and do a normal boot.

I don't know how this will work with an SVM disk mirror, but any comments would be appreciated. If this is a single partition of a bigger server, then there may be tricks you can use to get the disks available on another partition and edit the file through that, which may be safer.

I must admit that I last used Solaris version 2.6, so it would be wise to listen to other opinion before leaping in with what I have above.

I hope that this helps,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to reset SC admin password in Netra T2000 server?

I have one Sun Netra T2000 Server. The ALOM SC admin password of this server is not known. Could you anyone help and tell me how can i reset the SC admin account password?? Thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_shet
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Error while trying to boot from cdrom on Sun Fire T2000

Hi Guyz, I recently downloaded sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso from Sun. I burned the disk as cd .iso. When trying to boot at the ok> boot cdrom i get the following error: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Boot device:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mwamba
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun Server T2000 occasionally reboot

Hi, i am really 'fresh' to Solaris or any UNIX OS. My role as web developer but i need slightly involve to Solaris support. It is harder for me to understand it and i recently encounter a problems. /var file system (/dev/md/rdsk/d425) is being checked. run fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d425 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: webster5u
8 Replies

4. Solaris

How to create Logical domain in Sun Fire T2000 server

Hi I am fresher in Virtualisation in solaris 10.I need to know how to install and configure guest OS, I have a server Sun T2000 with solaris 10 OS BASE. How to install logical domain, what are the prerequest for installing l domain can some one guide me what are the basic requirement to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
2 Replies

5. Hardware

Hardware RAID on Sun T2000 Server

Hi All I have a Sun T2000 server. Couple of years ago I had configured and mirrored the boot drive with an other drive using hardware RAID 1 using raidctl command. Following is the hardware RAID output. root@oracledatabaseserver / $ raidctl RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Firmware password Solaris Sun Fire v440

Hi: I bougth an used Sun Fire v440, and It have a firmware password. When I turn on the server, it ask for firmware password. (I don 't know what is the correct password). I can access to SC, but when I want to access to OBP, Firmware Password appears again. I remove the battery for two hours,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mguazzardo
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Sun fire 4270 reset BIOS settings after reboot

Hello, I am trying to perform Suse 10 SP3 installation via network in 6 Sun Fire 4270 M2 servers. The problem is that even if i set first prio boot device the hard disk the system always try to boot from network.And after the first restart the BIOS setting has been lost(and PXE come first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Recover/Reset Sun Java System Server Console password

I am administering a Solaris 10 server that I have root password for but need to get to the system server console. The password has been 'forgotten'. I've tried changing it in /var/opt/mps/serverroot/admin-serv/config/admpw and local.conf with the current hashed password in /etc/shadow for a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameson
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Reset password RSC SUN V490

Dear all Can you help me to reset RSC from Sun V490 Inside this machine the Operating System is broken.. please help guys thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gema.utama
1 Replies
installgrub(1M)                                                                                                                    installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)