Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do i set a password to a directory? Post 302712365 by itkamaraj on Tuesday 9th of October 2012 05:59:07 AM
Old 10-09-2012
create a group with those users and assign the permission to them only

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Password set to null

Hi, We would like to set a password to null for a particular user id. But it should not prompt for a Password after login prompt. We tried editing the shadow file by using passwd -d but it still gives messager "Choose a new password, New Password:" I want it to directly login to shell once I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Set Password Never Expire

Hello I want to set the password for user never expire through the command line. For your information the box is running under Solaris 8 platform. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamsul
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we set it so people can't use the same password twice?

If we have it so users accounts need a new password after 90 days is there a way to also say that after 90 days they need to use a new password and not let them use the same one twice? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Not able to (re)set the Password

I have installed Solaris 10 x86 in VMware 5.5.I logged in as root user and trying to create new user and also reset the password for existing user, i am getting "Permission Denied Error". I checked the /etc/shadow file, looks fine permission is 400. Earlier i was able to do it but suddenly it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khagendra
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

set password not to expire

Hi All, Is this true on chage command? -M, MAX_DAYS Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. Does this means password will not expire anymore? Thanks for any comment you may add. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Set Password Account to NP or NL

Hi Everyone, my name`s Sergio. I need your help please. I have a problem using Solaris 9. I create an account with the command line "useradd", with this I have no problem. My problem is I need set the created account to NP (No Password or Non Login). For example: cat /etc/shadow ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roswell
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to set the password from *LK* to *NP*

okay here I go again... I have created a script which adds new user to /etc/password and which inturn creating a locked password in /etc/shadow but I am expecting to have *NP* for that particular user.Can someone help me with a script which can set the password for a particular user to NP in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sintilash
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to set password in HP-UX 11.31

Hi, I am unable to set the password remotely. I am using the script as below: ep=`echo "$p" | /usr/lbin/makekey` ssh -t $i "/usr/local/bin/sudo useradd -c "$user_c" -m -d /home/$user_id -s /bin/ksh $user_id; /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/sam/lbin/usermod.sam -F -p $ep $user_id" The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Not able to set password

I have a Solaris-10 non global zone, on which I am not able to reset password, while counts are matching in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. I tried searching its solution in various forums, but nothing is working # id -a oemagent uid=56605(oemagent) gid=56595(tess) groups=56595(tess) # passwd -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

10. AIX

How to set owner and permission for files/directory in directory in this case?

Hi. My example: I have a filesystem /log. Everyday, log files are copied to /log. I'd like to set owner and permission for files and directories in /log like that chown -R log_adm /log/* chmod -R 544 /log/*It's OK, but just at that time. When a new log file or new directory is created in /log,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be an octal number or a symbolic change to the existing mode. A mode is an octal number constructed from the OR of the following modes. 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission, and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), a (append only), and l (exclusive access). Only the owner of a file or the group leader of its group may change the file's mode. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/chmod.c SEE ALSO
ls(1), stat(2), stat(5) CHMOD(1)