Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Single or double square brackets Post 302708191 by elixir_sinari on Monday 1st of October 2012 07:31:20 AM
Old 10-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamu
Use quotes around it, so you can avoid variable expansion in shell.
What is that, pamu?
Variable expansion will be done by the shell in any case (in case of double-quotes). The double-quotes are to retain the embedded spaces and/or to tell the shell that the parameter exists (in case of null strings) in case of [..] construct.
You don't require the quotes in case [[..]] construct (unless you are testing strings as is).
Also, in the [[..]], globbing is not done.

In ksh88,
Code:
$ [ -z $x ] && echo HI
ksh: test: 0403-004 Specify a parameter with this command.

$ [ -z "$x" ] && echo HI
HI

$ [[ -z $x ]] && echo HI
HI

$ ls *test*
testftp
test.pl
testawk
testsed
testfile
test
testxml

$ [ -e *test* ] && echo HI || echo BYE
HI

[[ -e *test* ]] && echo HI || echo BYE
BYE

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 10-01-2012 at 08:38 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

square brackets

I would like to substitute a phrase which contains square brackets. change TO how? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilead29
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why put double square brackets in an if clause?

what is the rationale behind putting double square brackets in an if clause? for e.g. if ] || ] || ]; then echo some fields are null fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: napolayan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

brackets vs parentheses - single and double

hi, unix gurus. i am wondering if someone can give me a clear explanation of the differneces between parentheses and brackets, both single and double. i have heard that double parentheses (( are used for numerical expressions and that single brackets [ are used for strings. but i see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankimo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHy the double square brackets?

One of the senior administrators gave me a shell script to modify and it begins as follows: if ] && ] {more code follows} Why the double square brackets? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of double square brackets in ksh

Hi First apologies if this has been raised before. I've got the following in a ksh script: if ] For some reason this does not work. But if I remove the double square brackets to: if This works. I thought ksh supported the ]. Or is there more to it? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsu3000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double square brackets question

Hi, I just came across an interesting shell script syntax like the one below: ] && (trap 'rm -rf ${WORK_DIR}/*.$$; echo "\n\nInterrupted !!\n\n"; exit 4' 1 2 3 15) Can someone please explain the code snippet above? The trap command bit is fine but ] && is the hazy part. Generally we use an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the value in between square brackets in file

I wanted to compare the value inside the Squre bracket after Colon ( : ) based on any value(seperated by or operator | ) inside the variable Thread and if match found then wnated to store in output file Input file : 20140320 00:08:43.918 INO 35] - Corporate hub is 20140320 00:08:43.918... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep number between Square [] brackets

I wanted to store the number inside the square bracket between colon( : ) and closing suqre bracket(]) in some variable. Suppose I have lines like : Input file : 20140320 00:08:23.846 INFO 84] - anything in line 20140320 00:08:23.846 Test 589] - Virtual and lab lab anything... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF statement with square brackets

Hi All, Hope you all are doing good. Yesterday in my project i came across a scenario which i can not guess why it was working in one region and why it was not in another region. Please find my issue below. I am using AIX version 6.0 of UNIX in my project, in shell scripting i have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad man
1 Replies
PREG_MATCH_ALL(3)							 1							 PREG_MATCH_ALL(3)

preg_match_all - Perform a global regular expression match

SYNOPSIS
int preg_match_all PREG_PATTERN_ORDER (string $pattern, string $subject, [array &$matches], [int $flags], [int $offset]) DESCRIPTION
Searches $subject for all matches to the regular expression given in $pattern and puts them in $matches in the order specified by $flags. After the first match is found, the subsequent searches are continued on from end of the last match. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for, as a string. o $subject - The input string. o $matches - Array of all matches in multi-dimensional array ordered according to $flags. o $flags - Can be a combination of the following flags (note that it doesn't make sense to use PREG_PATTERN_ORDER together with PREG_SET_ORDER): o PREG_PATTERN_ORDER - Orders results so that $matches[0] is an array of full pattern matches, $matches[1] is an array of strings matched by the first parenthesized subpattern, and so on. <?php preg_match_all("|<[^>]+>(.*)</[^>]+>|U", "<b>example: </b><div align=left>this is a test</div>", $out, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER); echo $out[0][0] . ", " . $out[0][1] . " "; echo $out[1][0] . ", " . $out[1][1] . " "; ?> The above example will output: <b>example: </b>, <div align=left>this is a test</div> example: , this is a test So, $out[0] contains array of strings that matched full pattern, and $out[1] contains array of strings enclosed by tags. o PREG_SET_ORDER - Orders results so that $matches[0] is an array of first set of matches, $matches[1] is an array of second set of matches, and so on. <?php preg_match_all("|<[^>]+>(.*)</[^>]+>|U", "<b>example: </b><div align="left">this is a test</div>", $out, PREG_SET_ORDER); echo $out[0][0] . ", " . $out[0][1] . " "; echo $out[1][0] . ", " . $out[1][1] . " "; ?> The above example will output: <b>example: </b>, example: <div align="left">this is a test</div>, this is a test o PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE - If this flag is passed, for every occurring match the appendant string offset will also be returned. Note that this changes the value of $matches into an array where every element is an array consisting of the matched string at offset 0 and its string offset into $subject at offset 1. If no order flag is given, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER is assumed. o $offset - Normally, the search starts from the beginning of the subject string. The optional parameter $offset can be used to specify the alternate place from which to start the search (in bytes). Note Using $offset is not equivalent to passing substr($subject, $offset) to preg_match_all(3) in place of the subject string, because $pattern can contain assertions such as ^, $ or (?<=x). See preg_match(3) for examples. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of full pattern matches (which might be zero), or FALSE if an error occurred. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | The $matches parameter became optional. | | | | | 5.3.6 | | | | | | | Returns FALSE if $offset is higher than $subject | | | length. | | | | | 5.2.2 | | | | | | | Named subpatterns now accept the syntax | | | (?<name>) and (?'name') as well as (?P<name>). | | | Previous versions accepted only (?P<name>). | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Getting all phone numbers out of some text. <?php preg_match_all("/(? (d{3})? )? (?(1) [-s] ) d{3}-d{4}/x", "Call 555-1212 or 1-800-555-1212", $phones); ?> Example #2 Find matching HTML tags (greedy) <?php // The \2 is an example of backreferencing. This tells pcre that // it must match the second set of parentheses in the regular expression // itself, which would be the ([w]+) in this case. The extra backslash is // required because the string is in double quotes. $html = "<b>bold text</b><a href=howdy.html>click me</a>"; preg_match_all("/(<([w]+)[^>]*>)(.*?)(</\2>)/", $html, $matches, PREG_SET_ORDER); foreach ($matches as $val) { echo "matched: " . $val[0] . " "; echo "part 1: " . $val[1] . " "; echo "part 2: " . $val[2] . " "; echo "part 3: " . $val[3] . " "; echo "part 4: " . $val[4] . " "; } ?> The above example will output: matched: <b>bold text</b> part 1: <b> part 2: b part 3: bold text part 4: </b> matched: <a href=howdy.html>click me</a> part 1: <a href=howdy.html> part 2: a part 3: click me part 4: </a> Example #3 Using named subpattern <?php $str = <<<FOO a: 1 b: 2 c: 3 FOO; preg_match_all('/(?P<name>w+): (?P<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); /* This also works in PHP 5.2.2 (PCRE 7.0) and later, however * the above form is recommended for backwards compatibility */ // preg_match_all('/(?<name>w+): (?<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); print_r($matches); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => a: 1 [1] => b: 2 [2] => c: 3 ) [name] => Array ( [0] => a [1] => b [2] => c ) [1] => Array ( [0] => a [1] => b [2] => c ) [digit] => Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 [2] => 3 ) [2] => Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 [2] => 3 ) ) SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_match(3), preg_replace(3), preg_split(3), preg_last_error(3). PHP Documentation Group PREG_MATCH_ALL(3)