Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH SCRIPT of LS command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH SCRIPT of LS command Post 302706819 by above8k on Thursday 27th of September 2012 02:23:43 PM
Old 09-27-2012
Thanks for the reply.

I found this in my old book as a subsitue for ls command.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
for f in * ; do echo $f ; done

But here, I want to display only files when $ ./do_ls.sh files is entered.

and dir when $ ./do_ls.sh dirs is entered.

---------- Post updated at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:17 PM ----------

bump..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin bash script and read command

Hello everyone, I am struggling a bit with a batch script that I need to run in cygwin. I work in winXP and I had to write some awk scripts to do some file manipulation, and now I would like to automate the process by just running a batch file so that my colleagues can use it easily. Now, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teroc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output from a command into bash script

Hi all. I am using procmail to deliver an email to a script I am developing. Procmail delivers the email to the script on standard input. I imagine this is the same as piping input from a command into the script. Hence I've been testing my script by running echo 'test' | sms-autosend-backup.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akindo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash command in perl script

Hi, I have tried several times but failed, I need to call this script from the perl script. This one line script will be sent to /var/tmp/error Bash command: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -backstat -l -hoursago 12 |awk '{ print $19, $12, $14, $16}'|grep -vi default|sort >... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sQew
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a bash command from within a perl script?

In a bash script, one can call a perl command in the following manner, where "myperlcommand" is a perl command. perl -e 'myperlcommand(arguments)' perl -e 'print("UUUU"x4)' Now, how can one call a bash command from within a perl script? (Suppose that mybashcommand is a bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LessNux
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script set command to a variable

Hi, Will following set up work in bash script? I've got errors if assigning following binary command to a variable. But on the other hand, COMMAND="ls" works. Any explanation please? How can I assign binary command to a variable COMMAND then I can just call ${COMMAND}? COMMAND="rsync"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore error in command in bash script?

Hello, i have bash script where im cycling some command for different lines in external file. example: while read domain;do nslookupout=$(nslookup -type=ns $domain) || true another commands done < filenamewithdomains i added: || true after the command in belief it will just skip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with awk command ERROR

Hello im new here... Im trying to read file and create folders from words in it but i get this for loop error awk : line 3 : syntax error at or near for my code is.. #!/bin/bash begin for (( i=1;i<=5;i++)); do awk -v i=$i $0 { print $i } mkdir $i done {print $i} end {} i have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boxstep
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to use a sed command as a variable

I need to be able to use a sed command as a variable in a bash script. I have the sed command that almost works the way I want it. the command is sed -n '/inet/,/}/p' config.boot This gets me this result: inet 192.168.1.245 } I need to get the IP address into a variable so I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: edlentz
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building JSON command with bash script

Hello. I'm new to bash script and I'm learning the basics by writing some scripts. Recently a friend of mine asked me if I could try to write a script to him to automate a couple of processes that uses JSON RPCs. I'll try to explain in few words the workflow just to contextualize the problem.... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: psysc0rpi0n
48 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command works interactively but not in bash script

The below command works in the terminal interactively but not as part of a bash script. I though maybe I needed to escape the "$dir" so it isn't interpreted literally, but that's not it. Thank you :). interactively in terminal dir=/path/to new=$(ls "$dir"/*.csv -tr | tail -n 1) && echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
DU(1)									FSF								     DU(1)

NAME
du - estimate file space usage SYNOPSIS
du [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Summarize disk usage of each FILE, recursively for directories. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --all write counts for all files, not just directories -B, --block-size=SIZE use SIZE-byte blocks -b, --bytes print size in bytes -c, --total produce a grand total -D, --dereference-args dereference FILEs that are symbolic links -h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G) -H, --si likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024 -k like --block-size=1K -l, --count-links count sizes many times if hard linked -L, --dereference dereference all symbolic links -S, --separate-dirs do not include size of subdirectories -s, --summarize display only a total for each argument -x, --one-file-system skip directories on different filesystems -X FILE, --exclude-from=FILE Exclude files that match any pattern in FILE. --exclude=PATTERN Exclude files that match PATTERN. --max-depth=N print the total for a directory (or file, with --all) only if it is N or fewer levels below the command line argument; --max-depth=0 is the same as --summarize --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1,000,000, M 1,048,576, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. PATTERNS
PATTERN is a shell pattern (not a regular expression). The pattern ? matches any one character, whereas * matches any string (composed of zero, one or multiple characters). For example, *.o will match any files whose names end in .o. Therefore, the command du --exclude='*.o' will skip all files and subdirectories ending in .o (including the file .o itself). AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, Larry McVoy, and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for du is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and du programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info du should give you access to the complete manual. du (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 DU(1)