Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mkdir -p option in SFTP session Post 302706793 by in2nix4life on Thursday 27th of September 2012 11:01:38 AM
Old 09-27-2012
You could try using the -b (batch) option to sftp. Create a file with the commands:

Code:
cat file

mkdir /tmp/test1
mkdir /tmp/test1/test2
mkdir /tmp/test1/test2/test3
mkdir /tmp/test1/test2/test3/test4

Then just use the -b option to feed it to the sftp command:

Code:
sftp -b file user@server

sftp> mkdir /tmp/test1
sftp> mkdir /tmp/test1/test2
sftp> mkdir /tmp/test1/test2/test3
sftp> mkdir /tmp/test1/test2/test3/test4

Then verify on the server:

Code:
ls -l /tmp/test1/test2/test3/test4/

A bit funky, but should work if you insist on using sftp.

Alternatively, you could just use the ssh command like so:

Code:
ssh user@server 'mkdir -p /tmp/test1/test2/test3/test4/'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sftp problem with user id of no telnet session allowed

We used to have a ftp user id with no telnet session allowed in server side. We used this ftp user id in script by transferring file from client to Server. Currently we need to implement sftp to replace ftp. We have tested few round and working fine by using sftp with normal user id (allow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdougl
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SFTP - Overwrite [Put -P <file>] option

Hi All Experts, I hope you are all ok! :D My question is simple but I was not able to find an answer in the internet, and that's why I am here! My question is: when I sftp to a server and use "put -P" option to put a file, it keeps the file's full permission and access time. Check below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: felipe.vinturin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catch error from SFTP session

We have script running to SFTP some file to the remote server. The problem is the SFTP transfer returns an exit code of 0 even if there is permission error during file transfer, connection refuse (like when sftp server is down), thus, returning the status of the script as success. I was thinking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute shell script within sftp session

Hi all , can any one tell me how to run a script within a sftp session. let me tell u in bit clear way : After I connected to sftp location , cd ing to some directory then I need to execute a one script. Please tell me if u have any idea on this . Looking forward to your reply guys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravan008
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp -b option

Hi, what does -b option do in sftp batch mode..?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulsxn660
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passwordless SFTP - SCP Option?

I have read documentation on SCP and just trying to figure out how go about doing this - below are two pieces of code, one is SFTP and one is SCP. My goal is to have this done via password-less authentication, fully automated. Currently we use SFTP and the script asks for the password of the... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stigy
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to execute shell script on remote server with in sftp session

Hi, I want to execute shell script with in sftp session for remote server. like i have a shell script test.sh that is on local server.i want to execute that script on remote server sftp user@192.168.56.10 sftp> test.sh ---execute for remote server not for local server. sftp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SAUD PASHA
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is -oStrictHostKeyChecking option in SFTP Command?

Can anyone explain me the below sftp command sftp -oStrictHostKeyChecking=no @SFTP_PROXY_COMMAND@ -v oIdentityFile=$sftpIdentity -b $PutSFTPbatch.bat $sftpUrl I need explanation for the below parameters with all their possible values -oStrictHostKeyChecking=no @SFTP_PROXY_COMMAND@ -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error while renaming the file in SFTP Session

Hi All Below is the script I am trying to execute to rename a file in an SFTP session. It is in GNU/Linux. This script is for generic use and so I am passing arguments. Everything in the script works fine except "reading the filename in SFTP session" In the below script the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

SFTP with limit(l) option

Hi, I have sftp installed in some of my corporate servers (test and production). However, I notice that it does not have the limit(l) option for bandwidth limit option. Why is this? Is it because sftp was not installed with other necessary packages? How do I make sftp available with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
4 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)