Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH SCRIPT of LS command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH SCRIPT of LS command Post 302706547 by above8k on Thursday 27th of September 2012 01:59:25 AM
Old 09-27-2012
BASH SCRIPT of LS command

I need help in writing a BASH SCRIPT of ls command.

for example:
$ ./do_ls.sh files
f1.txt
f2.jpeg
f3.doc

$ ./do_ls.sh dirs
folder1
folder2
folder3

My attempt:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
if test $# -d file
then
	echo $dirs
	else
if test $# -f file
then
	echo $files
	exit 1

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin bash script and read command

Hello everyone, I am struggling a bit with a batch script that I need to run in cygwin. I work in winXP and I had to write some awk scripts to do some file manipulation, and now I would like to automate the process by just running a batch file so that my colleagues can use it easily. Now, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teroc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output from a command into bash script

Hi all. I am using procmail to deliver an email to a script I am developing. Procmail delivers the email to the script on standard input. I imagine this is the same as piping input from a command into the script. Hence I've been testing my script by running echo 'test' | sms-autosend-backup.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akindo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash command in perl script

Hi, I have tried several times but failed, I need to call this script from the perl script. This one line script will be sent to /var/tmp/error Bash command: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -backstat -l -hoursago 12 |awk '{ print $19, $12, $14, $16}'|grep -vi default|sort >... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sQew
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a bash command from within a perl script?

In a bash script, one can call a perl command in the following manner, where "myperlcommand" is a perl command. perl -e 'myperlcommand(arguments)' perl -e 'print("UUUU"x4)' Now, how can one call a bash command from within a perl script? (Suppose that mybashcommand is a bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LessNux
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script set command to a variable

Hi, Will following set up work in bash script? I've got errors if assigning following binary command to a variable. But on the other hand, COMMAND="ls" works. Any explanation please? How can I assign binary command to a variable COMMAND then I can just call ${COMMAND}? COMMAND="rsync"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore error in command in bash script?

Hello, i have bash script where im cycling some command for different lines in external file. example: while read domain;do nslookupout=$(nslookup -type=ns $domain) || true another commands done < filenamewithdomains i added: || true after the command in belief it will just skip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with awk command ERROR

Hello im new here... Im trying to read file and create folders from words in it but i get this for loop error awk : line 3 : syntax error at or near for my code is.. #!/bin/bash begin for (( i=1;i<=5;i++)); do awk -v i=$i $0 { print $i } mkdir $i done {print $i} end {} i have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boxstep
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to use a sed command as a variable

I need to be able to use a sed command as a variable in a bash script. I have the sed command that almost works the way I want it. the command is sed -n '/inet/,/}/p' config.boot This gets me this result: inet 192.168.1.245 } I need to get the IP address into a variable so I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: edlentz
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building JSON command with bash script

Hello. I'm new to bash script and I'm learning the basics by writing some scripts. Recently a friend of mine asked me if I could try to write a script to him to automate a couple of processes that uses JSON RPCs. I'll try to explain in few words the workflow just to contextualize the problem.... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: psysc0rpi0n
48 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command works interactively but not in bash script

The below command works in the terminal interactively but not as part of a bash script. I though maybe I needed to escape the "$dir" so it isn't interpreted literally, but that's not it. Thank you :). interactively in terminal dir=/path/to new=$(ls "$dir"/*.csv -tr | tail -n 1) && echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
BUILTIN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						BUILTIN(1)

NAME
builtin, !, %, ., :, @, {, }, alias, alloc, bg, bind, bindkey, break, breaksw, builtins, case, cd, chdir, command, complete, continue, default, dirs, do, done, echo, echotc, elif, else, end, endif, endsw, esac, eval, exec, exit, export, false, fc, fg, filetest, fi, for, foreach, getopts, glob, goto, hash, hashstat, history, hup, if, jobid, jobs, kill, limit, local, log, login, logout, ls-F, nice, nohup, notify, onintr, popd, printenv, pushd, pwd, read, readonly, rehash, repeat, return, sched, set, setenv, settc, setty, setvar, shift, source, stop, suspend, switch, telltc, test, then, time, times, trap, true, type, ulimit, umask, unalias, uncomplete, unhash, unlimit, unset, unsetenv, until, wait, where, which, while -- shell built-in commands SYNOPSIS
builtin [-options] [args ...] DESCRIPTION
Shell builtin commands are commands that can be executed within the running shell's process. Note that, in the case of csh(1) builtin com- mands, the command is executed in a subshell if it occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last. If a command specified to the shell contains a slash ``/'', the shell will not execute a builtin command, even if the last component of the specified command matches the name of a builtin command. Thus, while specifying ``echo'' causes a builtin command to be executed under shells that support the echo builtin command, specifying ``/bin/echo'' or ``./echo'' does not. While some builtin commands may exist in more than one shell, their operation may be different under each shell which supports them. Below is a table which lists shell builtin commands, the standard shells that support them and whether they exist as standalone utilities. Only builtin commands for the csh(1) and sh(1) shells are listed here. Consult a shell's manual page for details on the operation of its builtin commands. Beware that the sh(1) manual page, at least, calls some of these commands ``built-in commands'' and some of them ``reserved words''. Users of other shells may need to consult an info(1) page or other sources of documentation. Commands marked ``No**'' under External do exist externally, but are implemented as scripts using a builtin command of the same name. Command External csh(1) sh(1) ! No No Yes % No Yes No . No No Yes : No Yes Yes @ No Yes Yes { No No Yes } No No Yes alias No** Yes Yes alloc No Yes No bg No** Yes Yes bind No No Yes bindkey No Yes No break No Yes Yes breaksw No Yes No builtin No No Yes builtins No Yes No case No Yes Yes cd No** Yes Yes chdir No Yes Yes command No** No Yes complete No Yes No continue No Yes Yes default No Yes No dirs No Yes No do No No Yes done No No Yes echo Yes Yes Yes echotc No Yes No elif No No Yes else No Yes Yes end No Yes No endif No Yes No endsw No Yes No esac No No Yes eval No Yes Yes exec No Yes Yes exit No Yes Yes export No No Yes false Yes No Yes fc No** No Yes fg No** Yes Yes filetest No Yes No fi No No Yes for No No Yes foreach No Yes No getopts No** No Yes glob No Yes No goto No Yes No hash No No Yes hashstat No Yes No history No Yes No hup No Yes No if No Yes Yes jobid No No Yes jobs No** Yes Yes kill Yes Yes No limit No Yes No local No No Yes log No Yes No login Yes Yes No logout No Yes No ls-F No Yes No nice Yes Yes No nohup Yes Yes No notify No Yes No onintr No Yes No popd No Yes No printenv Yes Yes No pushd No Yes No pwd Yes No Yes read No** No Yes readonly No No Yes rehash No Yes No repeat No Yes No return No No Yes sched No Yes No set No Yes Yes setenv No Yes No settc No Yes No setty No Yes No setvar No No Yes shift No Yes Yes source No Yes No stop No Yes No suspend No Yes No switch No Yes No telltc No Yes No test Yes No Yes then No No Yes time Yes Yes No times No No Yes trap No No Yes true Yes No Yes type No No Yes ulimit No No Yes umask No** Yes Yes unalias No** Yes Yes uncomplete No Yes No unhash No Yes No unlimit No Yes No unset No Yes Yes unsetenv No Yes No until No No Yes wait No** Yes Yes where No Yes No which Yes Yes No while No Yes Yes SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), false(1), info(1), kill(1), login(1), nice(1), nohup(1), printenv(1), pwd(1), sh(1), test(1), time(1), true(1), which(1) HISTORY
The builtin manual page first appeared in FreeBSD 3.4. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
February 23, 2005 BSD