Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH: Split String into smaller substrings based on count Post 302703249 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of September 2012 01:57:58 PM
Old 09-19-2012
If it's too large for a shell variable, too large for an array, to the point that you're trying to split it between multiple separate variables, that's a subtle hint, written in mile-high flashing neon letters, that it's a bad idea to try and load enormous amounts of text into a shell variable. You should be trying to make a loop of some sort, handle it piecemeal, instead of loading it whole.

Where did all that text come from? Are you loading it from file, or could you load it from file? What does or would the file look like?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH split string into variables

Hello, I am an intermediate scripter. I can usually find and adapt what I need by searching through previous postings, but I'm stumped. I have a string with the format "{Name1 Release1 Type1 Parent1} {Name2 Release2 Type2 Parent2}". It is being passed as an argument into a ksh script. I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd_2b
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH] Split string into array

Hi, Is there any way to convert a string into an array in KSH? In other words I want to split the string like this: STRING="one two three four" into an array of 4 values splitting on white space. The array should be similar to the one that would be created with the following command: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split the String based on condition?

hi , I have a String str="/opt/ibm/lotus/ibw/latest" or ="/opt/lotus/ibw/latest" this value is dynamic..I want to split this string into 2 strings 1. /opt/ibm/lotus(/opt/lotus) this string must ends with "lotus" 2./ibw/latest can any body help me on this? Regards, sankar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering out duplicate substrings, regex string from a string

My input contains a single word lines. From each line data.txt prjtestBlaBlatestBlaBla prjthisBlaBlathisBlaBla prjthatBlaBladpthatBlaBla prjgoodBlaBladpgoodBlaBla prjgood1BlaBla123dpgood1BlaBla123 Desired output --> data_out.txt prjtestBlaBla prjthisBlaBla... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file based on group count

Hi, can some one please help me to split the file based on groups. like in the below scenario x indicates the begining of the group and the file should be split each with 2 groups below there are 10 groups it should create 5 files. could you please help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Split large file into smaller files based on pattern match

Help needed urgently please. I have a large file - a few hundred thousand lines. Sample CP START ACCOUNT 1234556 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 2224444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 333344444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT I need to split this file each time "CP START... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A command to split a file into two based on a string

Hello What command can i use to split a tab delimited txt file into two files base on the occurrence of a string my file name is EDIT.txt The content of file is below XX 1234 PROCEDURES XY 1634 PROCEDURES XM 1245 CODES XZ 1256 CODES It has more than a million record If there is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: madrazzii
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Split File based on String?

hi , The scenario is like this, i have a large text files (max 5MB , about 5000 file per day ), Inside almost each line of this file there is a tag 3100.2.22.1 (represent Call_Type) , i need to generate many filess , each one with distinct (3100.2.22.1 Call_Type ) , and one more file to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - split data based on the count

Greetings Experts, I am generating a validation query through awk and facing an issue, which I need to overcome by splitting the data based on the pattern matching count in the value of an array. File1 -- Table11@column1@date@Table21@column1@varchar(10)@d;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split files based on row delimiter count

I have a huge file (around 4-5 GB containing 20 million rows) which has text like: <EOFD>11<EOFD>22<EORD>2<EOFD>2222<EOFD>3333<EORD>3<EOFD>44<EOFD>55<EORD>66<EOFD>888<EOFD>9999<EORD> Actually above is an extracted file from a Sql Server with each field delimited by <EOFD> and each row ends... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
8 Replies
PREG_SPLIT(3)								 1							     PREG_SPLIT(3)

preg_split - Split string by a regular expression

SYNOPSIS
array preg_split (string $pattern, string $subject, [int $limit = -1], [int $flags]) DESCRIPTION
Split the given string by a regular expression. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for, as a string. o $subject - The input string. o $limit - If specified, then only substrings up to $limit are returned with the rest of the string being placed in the last substring. A $limit of -1, 0 or NULL means "no limit" and, as is standard across PHP, you can use NULL to skip to the $flags parameter. o $flags -$flags can be any combination of the following flags (combined with the | bitwise operator): o PREG_SPLIT_NO_EMPTY - If this flag is set, only non-empty pieces will be returned by preg_split(3). o PREG_SPLIT_DELIM_CAPTURE - If this flag is set, parenthesized expression in the delimiter pattern will be captured and returned as well. o PREG_SPLIT_OFFSET_CAPTURE - If this flag is set, for every occurring match the appendant string offset will also be returned. Note that this changes the return value in an array where every element is an array consisting of the matched string at offset 0 and its string offset into $subject at offset 1. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array containing substrings of $subject split along boundaries matched by $pattern. EXAMPLES
Example #1 preg_split(3) example : Get the parts of a search string <?php // split the phrase by any number of commas or space characters, // which include " ", , , and f $keywords = preg_split("/[s,]+/", "hypertext language, programming"); print_r($keywords); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => hypertext [1] => language [2] => programming ) Example #2 Splitting a string into component characters <?php $str = 'string'; $chars = preg_split('//', $str, -1, PREG_SPLIT_NO_EMPTY); print_r($chars); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => s [1] => t [2] => r [3] => i [4] => n [5] => g ) Example #3 Splitting a string into matches and their offsets <?php $str = 'hypertext language programming'; $chars = preg_split('/ /', $str, -1, PREG_SPLIT_OFFSET_CAPTURE); print_r($chars); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => hypertext [1] => 0 ) [1] => Array ( [0] => language [1] => 10 ) [2] => Array ( [0] => programming [1] => 19 ) ) NOTES
Tip If you don't need the power of regular expressions, you can choose faster (albeit simpler) alternatives like explode(3) or str_split(3). Tip If matching fails, an array with a single element containing the input string will be returned. SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), implode(3), preg_match(3), preg_match_all(3), preg_replace(3), preg_last_error(3). PHP Documentation Group PREG_SPLIT(3)