Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: MySQL Databases
Top Forums Programming MySQL Databases Post 302700915 by Corona688 on Friday 14th of September 2012 11:46:37 AM
Old 09-14-2012
Agreed. Backing up the binary database files is not a good idea since your version of mysql may change and make them incompatible. But if you use mysqldump to back everything up as text, it will remain compatible.

It will also allow you to pick and choose which databases and tables get restored relatively easily.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and databases

I had a person ask me if a Sql database can be run with Unix? I don't know can this be done? They only have Sql dba's and no oracle dba but want to use a Unix box???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tyranunn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking which databases are installed

I want to check which databases are installed on my FreeBSD installation. This is what I did: pkg_info | grep mysql How do I check all in one go whether also sqlite, postgresql, firebird is installed? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

3. Web Development

Deleting databases in MYSQL problem asking...

Hi, I'm the new user of mysql. I facing one problem to delete one of the database in mysql. Hope can get all of your suggestion and advice. Input: mysql> show databases; +-------------------------+ | Database | +-------------------------+ | information_schema | |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two databases

Hello, I have two databases one is student_Name and another is student_Name1...Two tabled contain 200 records each..I found that near 30 names are entered in both databases..I would like to remove the duplicates..and i have to keep the name which is newly added..Please hepl how to remove... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjali_vee
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff command with databases

How can we compare query results from different databases using Unix diff command from command-line in Ab Initio tool? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eshalife
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

MySQL Daemon failed to start - no mysql.sock file

After doing a yum install mysql mysql-server on Fedora 14 I wasn't able to fully install the packages correctly. It installed MySQL 5.1. I was getting the following error when running the: mysql ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in backing up of databases.

Hi Everyone, I am new to DBA stuff. I wonder if anyone can help me. Task is that, I have 10 databases and need to take backups of all the databases using data pump in Unix/Linux, compress them using gzip and use cron to schedule the job twice a day. Appreciate if anyone can help me in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreepriya0987
1 Replies
mysqldump(1)							  MySQL database						      mysqldump(1)

NAME
mysqldump - text-based client for dumping or backing up mysql databases, tables and or data. USAGE
mysqldump [OPTIONS] database [tables] OR mysqldump [OPTIONS] --databases [OPTIONS] DB1 [DB2 DB3...] OR mysqldump [OPTIONS] --all-databases [OPTIONS] OPTION SYNOPSIS
mysqldump [-A|--all-databases] [-a|--all] [-#|--debug=...] [--character-sets-dir=...] [-?|--help] [-B|--databases] [-c|--complete-insert] [-C|--compress] [--default-character-set=...] [-e|--extended-insert] [--add-drop-table] [--add-locks] [--allow-keywords] [--delayed- insert] [-F|--flush-logs] [-f|--force] [-h|--host=...] [-l|--lock-tables] [-n|--no-create-db] [-t|--no-create-info] [-d|--no-data] [-O|--set-variablevar=option] [--opt] [-p|--password[=...]] [-P|--port=...] [-q|--quick] [-Q|--quote-names] [-S|--socket=...] [--tables] [-T|--tab=...] [-u|--user=#] [-v|--verbose] [-V|--version] [-w|--where=] [--delayed] [-e|--extended-insert] [--fields-terminated-by=...] [--fields-enclosed-by=...] [--fields-optionally-enclosed-by=...] [--fields-escaped-by=...] [--lines-terminated-by=...] [-v|--verbose] [-V|--version] [-O net_buffer_length=#, where # < 16M] DESCRIPTION
Dumping definition and data mysql database or table mysqldump supports by executing -A|--all-databases Dump all the databases. This will be same as --databases with all databases selected. -a|--all Include all MySQL specific create options. -#|--debug=... Output debug log. Often this is 'd:t:o,filename`. --character-sets-dir=... Directory where character sets are -?|--help Display this help message and exit. -B|--databases To dump several databases. Note the difference in usage; In this case no tables are given. All name arguments are regarded as databasenames. -c|--complete-insert Use complete insert statements. -C|--compress Use compression in server/client protocol. --default-character-set=... Set the default character set -e|--extended-insert Allows utilization of the new, much faster INSERT syntax. --add-drop-table Add a 'drop table' before each create. --add-locks Add locks around insert statements. --allow-keywords Allow creation of column names that are keywords. --delayed-insert Insert rows with INSERT DELAYED. -F|--flush-logs Flush logs file in server before starting dump. -f|--force Continue even if we get an sql-error. -h|--host=... Connect to host. -l|--lock-tables Lock all tables for read. -n|--no-create-db 'CREATE DATABASE /*!32312 IF NOT EXISTS*/ db_name;' will not be put in the output. The above line will be added otherwise, if --databases or --all-databases option was given. -t|--no-create-info Don't write table creation info. -d|--no-data No row information. -O|--set-variable var=option give a variable a value. --help lists variables --opt Same as --add-drop-table --add-locks --all --extended-insert --quick --lock-tables -p|--password[=...] Password to use when connecting to server. If password is not given it's solicited on the tty. -P|--port=... Port number to use for connection. -q|--quick Don't buffer query, dump directly to stdout. -Q|--quote-names Quote table and column names with ` -S|--socket=... Socket file to use for connection. --tables Overrides option --databases(-B). -T|--tab=... Creates tab separated textfile for each table to given path. (creates .sql and .txt files). NOTE: This only works if mysqldump is run on the same machine as the mysqld daemon. -u|--user=# User for login if not current user. -v|--verbose Print info about the various stages. -V|--version Output version information and exit. -w|--where= dump only selected records; QUOTES mandatory! --delayed Insert rows with the INSERT DELAYED command. -e|--extended-insert Use the new multiline INSERT syntax. (Gives more compact and faster inserts statements.) --fields-terminated-by=... --fields-enclosed-by=... --fields-optionally-enclosed-by=... --fields-escaped-by=... --lines-terminated-by=... These options are used with the -T option and have the same meaning as the corresponding clauses for LOAD DATA INFILE. See Mysql manual section 7.23 LOAD DATA INFILE Syntax. -v|--verbose Verbose mode. Print out more information on what the program does. -V|--version Print version information and exit. -O net_buffer_length=#, where # < 16M When creating multi-row-insert statements (as with option --extended-insert or --opt ), mysqldump will create rows up to net_buf- fer_length length. If you increase this variable, you should also ensure that the max_allowed_packet variable in the MySQL server is bigger than the net_buffer_length. EXAMPLES
The most normal use of mysqldump is probably for making a backup of whole databases. See Mysql Manual section 21.2 Database Backups. mysqldump --opt database > backup-file.sql You can read this back into MySQL with: mysql database < backup-file.sql or mysql -e 'source /patch-to-backup/backup-file.sql' database However, it's also very useful to populate another MySQL server with information from a database: mysqldump --opt database | mysql --host=remote-host -C database It is possible to dump several databases with one command: mysqldump --databases database1 [ database2 database3... ] > my_databases.sql If all the databases are wanted, one can use: mysqldump --all-databases > all_databases.sql SEE ALSO
isamchk(1), isamlog(1), mysql(1), mysqlaccess(1), mysqladmin(1), mysqld(1), mysqld_multi(1), mysqld_safe(1), mysql_fix_privilege_tables(1), mysqlshow(1), mysql_zap(1), perror(1), replace(1) For more information please refer to the MySQL reference manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ BUGS
Please refer to http://bugs.mysql.com/ to report bugs. AUTHOR
Ver 1.0, distribution 4.0.24 Michael (Monty) Widenius (monty@mysql.com), MySQL AB (http://www.mysql.com/). This software comes with no warranty. Manual page by L. (Kill-9) Pedersen (kill-9@kill-9.dk), Mercurmedia Data Model Architect / system developer (http://www.mercur- media.com) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWmysqlr, SUNWmysqlu, SUNWmysqlt | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ NOTES
Source for mysql is available on http://opensolaris.org. MySQL 4.0 19 December 2000 mysqldump(1)