Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux command to output from a string Post 302700597 by vgersh99 on Thursday 13th of September 2012 05:35:46 PM
Old 09-13-2012
Code:
awk -F'[_.]' '{print $(NF-2), $(NF-1)}' OFS=_

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to Run a Linux Command and Redirect its output to a socket in C

I have a Linux socket server program. I need to run the commands sent by the client and return the output to client. Is there a quicker way? I tried with ptr=popen(command, "r"); and then fgets(buf, size,ptr); write buf to socket fgets hangs for me. Now, I would like to know if I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshomallur
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep only a string on command output

How can I grep exactly a string that has .,/ characters using grep? Example: I want to grep ONLY string1 and not string1.more or string1.more.evenmore #lsauth ALL|grep 'string1' All output: string1 <--- This is the only I want. string1.more string1.evenmore. more.string1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output string manipulation possible in one line?

This has been bothering me for 3 days. $> hostname cepsun64amd And I just want "cepsun", I would normally do h=`hostname`; ${h%%64*} But I am looking for a one-liner just for my own knowledge, because if there is a way to do this, I should know it by now. Anyway, so is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan.
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command showing wrong output in Linux

Hi All I am trying to run a script in linux wherein i have a command like this grep ^prmAttunityUser= djpHewr2XFMAttunitySetup_ae1_tmp djpHewr2XFMAttunitySetup_ae1_tmp is a temporary file in which the user value is stored but this command in the script returns me balnk value whereas it has a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX - How to remove the final delimiter from a command output

Hi All, I am trying to list the various dates for which the file is available in a directory using the command below, (& subsequently pass the command output to a loop) Command : ls dir|grep 'filename'|cut -d '_' -f1|cut -c1-8|tr '\n' ',' However, it is giving me an extra comma... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to terminate command execution when string found in the command output

Hi Experts, I am very much new to linux scripting, I am currently working on reducing my manual work and hence writing a script to automate few task. I am running below command to snmpwalk the router.. snmpwalk -v 3 -u WANDL_SU -a MD5 -A vfipmpls -x DES -X VfIpMpLs -l authPriv... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanumant.madane
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different output for awk command on Linux & HP-UX

I am using an awk command to extract a particular portion of a string. Below is the command and its output on a Linux system: oracle@host1:/tmp (/home/oracle) $uname -a Linux host1 2.6.32-279.39.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Nov 15 05:38:26 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interpreting Linux's free command output

I have two questions on Linux's free command. Below, I have provided output from my home laptop (fedora 26 ) which has 16GB Physical RAM and a production server (RHEL 7.4) which has 24GB RAM. Question1. What exactly does the buffer/cache column say in free command's output ? buffer/cache is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
9 Replies
makedbm(8yp)															      makedbm(8yp)

Name
       makedbm - make a yellow pages dbm file

Syntax
       makedbm [ -i yp_input_file ] [ -o yp_output_name ] [ -d yp_domain_name ] [ -m yp_master_name ] infile outfile
       makedbm [ -u dbmfilename ]

Description
       The command takes the file specified by the argument infile and converts it to a pair of files in format, namely and Each line of the input
       file is converted to a single record.  All characters up to the first tab or space form the key, and the rest of the line is defined as the
       key's  associated data.	If a line ends with a backslash (), the data for that record is continued onto the next line.	It is left for the
       clients of the yellow pages to interpret the number sign (#); does not treat it as a comment character.	The  infile  parameter	can  be  a
       hyphen (-), in which case reads the standard input.

The  command  is  meant	to  be	used in generating files for the yellow pages service.	The command generates a special entry with the key
       yp_last_modified, which is the date of infile.

Options
       -i     Create a special entry with the key yp_input_file.

-o     Create a special entry with the key yp_output_name.

-d     Create a special entry with the key yp_domain_name.

-m     Create a special entry with the key yp_master_name.  If no master host name is specified, yp_master_name will be set  to	the  local
	      host name.

-u     Undo a file.  That is, print out a file one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values.

Examples
       The  following  example shows how a combination of commands can be used to make the yellow pages files and from the file.  The percent sign
       (%) signifies the system prompt.

% awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":"; OFS = ""; }
	{ print $1, $0 }' /etc/passwd > ptmp
       % makedbm ptmp passwd.byname
       % rm ptmp

The command creates the file ptmp which is in a form usable by The command uses the ptmp file to create the yellow pages dbm files and  The
       command removes the ptmp file.

See Also
       yppasswd(1yp), dbm(3x), ypmake(8yp)

makedbm(8yp)