Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to list the files having particular string in it ? Post 302697771 by vidyadhar85 on Friday 7th of September 2012 10:56:59 AM
Old 09-07-2012
Could you please post the command you have tried?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string from list of input files

Hello, I am trying to match a string between line one and line two with in the file. But I dont want to search based on the given filename. Instead I want to search for all available files in the specific directory. Please help me on the above. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumarvenkat
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to List and copy the files containing a string

:confused: I have more than 8000 files in a dir, I need to copy to other dir which containing the "sample" I tried grep -il "1189609240791-1268115603299237276@216.109.111.119 ' | cp /tmp/inv Nothing is happening for long time for 100 file dir too, Any one can help me? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting a list of string in a list of txt files

Hi there! I have 150 txt files named chunk1, chunk2, ........., chunk150. I have a second file called string.txt with more than 1000 unique strings, house, dog, cat ... I want to know which command I should use to count how many times each string appears in the 150 files. I have tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pep Puigvert
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the files with string

I want to list all the files which are having today's date in its header... Please let me know if this can be achveived by a single command (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to find string and return following characters from list of files

Hi, I'm fairly new to UNIX, but hopefully some-one can help me with this: I am using the following code to find files with the name "example.xml": find . -name "example.xml" -print that would print me a list like the example here: ./dir1/dir2/example.xml... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boijie
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Replacing a string in a long list of files

I have a script that needs to read a file with a long list of /path/filenames - replace the name of the server in each file - and write the file to the same path with a date extension. This is the script that I have so far #!/bin/ksh umask 022 LIST=`scripts.list` for i in $LIST do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a column based list from a string list

I have a string containing fields separated by space Example set sr="Fred Ted Joe Peter Paul Jean Chris Tim Tex" and want to display it in a column format, for example to a maximum of a window of 100 characters And hopefully display some thing like Fred Ted Joe ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string

Hi, I have a list of zipped files. I want to grep for a string in all files and get a list of file names that contain the string. But without unzipping them before that, more like using something like gzcat. My OS is: SunOS test 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string in a list of files, print file names

I'm interested in writing a report script using BASH that searches all of the files in a particular directory for a keyword and printing a list of files containing this string... In fact this reporting script would have searches for multiple keywords, so I'm interested in making multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chemscripter904
2 Replies
post(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   post(8)

NAME
post - deliver a message SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/post [options] file OPTIONS
Specifies a file that post should take aliases from. More than one file can be specified, each being preceded with the -alias option. The post program automatically consults the system alias file, /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases. If there is an Aliasfile entry in your post also con- sults the file named in that entry. Filters (re-formats) messages sent to blind copy recipients. Recipients named in the Bcc: field nor- mally receive a new message which includes a copy of the message sent to the other recipients. If this option is specified, this copy of the message is filtered according to the instructions in the named file. The default is -nofilter. Formats messages so as to conform to ARPAnet Internet Message Format protocol. This is the default behavior. You can post from formatting messages in this way by using the -noformat option. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Adds a Message-ID: or Resent-Message-ID: field to the header. Specifies the mail system over which mail is sent. The only value allowed is smtp, which is the standard mail system. Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems. Informs the user of each step of the posting/filing process. Allows the user to watch the transport system's handling of the message (for example, local and fast delivery). Specifies the preferred length of the header compo- nents that contain addresses. The default settings for post are: -alias /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases -format -nomsgid -mts smtp -noverbose -nowatch -width 72 -nofilter DESCRIPTION
The program post is called by send(1) to deliver the message in the named file to local and remote users. In fact, all of the functions at- tributed to send on its reference page are performed by post, with send acting as a relatively simple pre-processor. Thus, it is post which parses the various header fields, appends From: and Date: lines, and interacts with the transport system. Normally, post would not be called directly by the user. It searches the To:, cc:, Bcc:, and Resent-xxx: header lines of the specified message for destination addresses, checks these addresses for validity, and formats them so as to conform to ARPAnet Internet Message Format protocol (unless the -noformat option is set). This will normally cause @local-site to be appended to each local destination address, as well as any local return addresses. If a Bcc: field is encountered, the mail system will use its addresses for delivery. The Bcc: is removed from the message sent to original recipients. The copied recipients will receive an entirely new message with a minimal set of headers. The mail system includes a copy of the message sent to the original recipients in the body of the message. This command consults the environment variable $SIGNATURE to determine the sender's personal name in constructing the From: line of the message. RESTRICTIONS
For this version, the -mts option only supports the value smtp. Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems. PROFILE COMPONENTS
The post command does not consult the user's FILES
The system customization file. The program to process Fcc:s. The program to process Bcc:s. The system alias file. SEE ALSO
Commands: comp(1), mhmail(1), send(1) Files: mh-alias(4), mh-mail(4), mtstailor(4) Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) post(8)