Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to copy certain info from several directories Post 302694925 by Corona688 on Friday 31st of August 2012 05:06:34 PM
Old 08-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrjrasaxena
...And given this, I need to do the "ls -ltr ".
No you don't. You need -t for time, and -r for reverse. All -l does is add columns that you instantly throw away.

-1, as in one, not ell, might make sense to force single-column output, but you get it anyway whenever ls writes to a non-terminal.

Since you need it sorted by time:

Code:
find /eos/uscms/store/user/pooja04//analysis2012/525/data/doubleele/2012/ -name '*.root' | xargs ls -1tr | tee listfile | while read LINE
do
        echo mv "$LINE" /path/to/dest
done

This may fail if there's too many hundreds of files, since they won't all be able to fit in one ls commandline.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy and keep owner info

I need to copy all fiels and directories to another locathon and keep the owner info and rights. I tried cp -r - p * /newdir No good. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarono
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy selected Directories

I wonder if someone would help me a little here. I have a directory (folder on a mac) with about 100 subfolders and sub-subfolders and files there in. All sub directories have the same name structure, "AAA Name". Like this: ISP CompanyName ITS CompanyName KEL CompanyName KRA CompanyName... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigurarm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy file into directories and sub-directories

Hello- I need to copy a file into multiple directories, and each directory's sub-directories (of which there are 5) Currently, the parent directory is set up like this: dir1 sub-dir1 sub-dir2 sub-dir3 sub-dir4 sub-dir5 dir2 sub-dir1 sub-dir2 sub-dir3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penlok
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to copy the lease info block

Hi, am having a lease file which contains lots os lease info. In that i have to copy the whole block(shown below) by identifying the mac and change the IP according to the i/p. I have used like sed s/${ip_addr}/$ch_ip/g $temp_file | grep -B5 "${mac}" >> $persistent_file sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SMNK
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i copy those files into other directories have the same name

how can i copy those files into other directories have the same name but different in the end i have files in directory called test: 10_10_asdadfsdfad.txt 10_10_11_asdawqefwkjasd.txt 10_10_11_12_asdafjjhoqwd.txt i want to put them in exist directory thart i have on my system i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: t17
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract the day of the year and use that info to copy a file remotely

Hello, Thank you in advance for helping a newbie who is having great trouble with this simple task. I'm allowed to copy one file remotely each night due to bandwidth restrictions. A new file gets generated once a day, and I need to copy the previous day's file. Here is what I'd like to do:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmozdzen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy particular file from directories recursively

I have directory path in which there are several sub directories. In all these sub dir there will be one env.cnf file. I want to copy this env.cnf file from each sub dir's and place them in destination path by creating same filename as sub dir_env.cnf. After copying env.cnf files from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy directories in make file

LD:=C:/WindRiver/diab/5.9.3.0/WIN32/bin/dld.exe CFILES:=$(wildcard *.c) OBJFILES:=$(subst .c,.o, $(CFILES)) OBJ_PATH:=$(PRJ_PATH)/out/ ADDOBJFILES := $(addprefix $(OBJ_PATH),$(OBJFILES)) FILES:=C:/EB/tresos/workspace/Test_Spi/output/src copyfiles: cp ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ushacy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Copy Directories ONLY

I am trying to copy only the date specific folders/directories using the following command. However, the following copy command is also copying files from the root folder (OriginalFolder). find /OriginalFolder/ -type -d \{ -mtime 1 -o -mtime 2 \ } -exec cp -R {} /CopyTo/'hostname'__CopyTo/ \;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apacheLinux
2 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_COMPRESS(1)