Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAM always used 100 %
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RAM always used 100 % Post 302692395 by mark54g on Monday 27th of August 2012 02:36:33 PM
Old 08-27-2012
Oracle databases do tremendous amounts of reads. Linux, in general, caches reads into memory. Unused memory is wasted. The disconnect here is one that people believe a system is supposed to behave a certain way and that may not always be the best case.

Forget how much memory is being used and ask whether performance is impacted. File system caching is dropped when an application uses the memory, but also, realize that keeping things in memory translates into faster lookups.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

getting available physical RAM

What command should I be using on Solaris 9 to get an accurate representation of the available physical RAM? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Command for RAM

folks, hows everyone? just upgraded my laptop running on solaris 10 by adding some extra RAM. I did notice some improvement (increase in speed) but could not be certain the new RAM has been accepted and all is well (was concerned a bit as i almost broke it while installing :-)) and didnt get any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikun
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know RAM size

Hi can anyone please help me, how to know RAM specification in unix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palash2k
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. Linux

RAM is not being utilized

Hi All, I installed CentOs on my PC (it has 1 GB of RAM). I see that only 200MB of RAM is being utilized on average but its very slow. Please let me know how do I improve the performance. Is there a way to set the RAM utilization/usage on CentOS. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayfriend
2 Replies

6. Linux

Ram Usage

Hi one of our applications that runs on our Linux server leaks memory resulting in Ram that was used by the program not being released back to the operating system once a file has been processed. the result is over a very short period virtual all the memory has been used. an example currently ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
8 Replies

7. Solaris

expanding RAM

our sparc server has only 1Gb RAM. Since RAM is not very expensive anymore, it seems like a good idea to upgrade it. will it make server (and database on it) faster? I hope it would less 'abuse' hard drive.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Regarding RAM replacement

Dear All, I have linux Servers where all are having at present 12 Gig RAM. At present my need is to increase the RAM for atleast another 12 G . ie 12G +12 G ===24 Gig RAM. But how does i can find out whether my server will support for 24 GiG RAM or is there any way of finding out how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

9. Solaris

RAM check

is there a way to thoroughly test RAM in Solaris10 (SPARC)? or is boot test good enough? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to update the RAM

hi, i m working on my ubuntu 12.10 i wanted to update my desktop's RAM. so kindly let me know how i get below details (thru commands in terminal) 1) what is the processor am using currently 2) what is the RAM am using currently 3) max how much i can upgrade my RAM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandpasunoori
4 Replies
exsprite(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual						 exsprite(3alleg4)

NAME
exsprite - Datafiles access and sprite animation. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> Example exsprite DESCRIPTION
This example demonstrates how to use datafiles, various sprite drawing routines and flicker-free animation. Why is the animate() routine coded in that way? As you probably know, VIDEO RAM is much slower than "normal" RAM, so it's advisable to reduce VRAM blits to a minimum. Drawing sprite on the screen (meaning in VRAM) and then clearing a background for it is not very fast. This example uses a different method which is much faster, but require a bit more memory. First the buffer is cleared (it's a normal BITMAP), then the sprite is drawn on it, and when the drawing is finished this buffer is copied directly to the screen. So the end result is that there is a single VRAM blit instead of blitting/clearing the background and drawing a sprite on it. It's a good method even when you have to restore the background. And of course, it completely removes any flickering effect. When one uses a big (ie. 800x600 background) and draws something on it, it's wise to use a copy of background somewhere in memory and restore background using this "virtual background". When blitting from VRAM in SVGA modes, it's probably, that drawing routines have to switch banks on video card. I think, I don't have to remind how slow is it. Note that on modern systems, the above isn't true anymore, and you usually get the best performance by caching all your animations in video ram and doing only VRAM->VRAM blits, so there is no more RAM->VRAM transfer at all anymore. And usually, such transfers can run in parallel on the graphics card's processor as well, costing virtually no main cpu time at all. See the exaccel example for an example of this. SEE ALSO
BITMAP(3alleg4), DATAFILE(3alleg4), END_OF_FUNCTION(3alleg4), END_OF_MAIN(3alleg4), LOCK_FUNCTION(3alleg4), LOCK_VARIABLE(3alleg4), SCREEN_H(3alleg4), SCREEN_W(3alleg4), allegro_error(3alleg4), allegro_init(3alleg4), allegro_message(3alleg4), blit(3alleg4), cir- cle(3alleg4), clear_bitmap(3alleg4), clear_keybuf(3alleg4), create_bitmap(3alleg4), destroy_bitmap(3alleg4), draw_sprite(3alleg4), draw_sprite_h_flip(3alleg4), draw_sprite_v_flip(3alleg4), draw_sprite_vh_flip(3alleg4), fixed(3alleg4), font(3alleg4), hline(3alleg4), install_int_ex(3alleg4), install_keyboard(3alleg4), install_sound(3alleg4), install_timer(3alleg4), itofix(3alleg4), key(3alleg4), key- pressed(3alleg4), load_datafile(3alleg4), makecol(3alleg4), palette_color(3alleg4), pivot_sprite(3alleg4), pivot_sprite_v_flip(3alleg4), play_sample(3alleg4), rectfill(3alleg4), replace_filename(3alleg4), rest(3alleg4), screen(3alleg4), set_gfx_mode(3alleg4), set_pal- ette(3alleg4), text_height(3alleg4), textout_centre_ex(3alleg4), unload_datafile(3alleg4), vsync(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 exsprite(3alleg4)