Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting text into a new file Post 302691411 by Shellslave on Friday 24th of August 2012 12:06:53 PM
Old 08-24-2012
Code:

echo "Some test code here" > filename

is the simplest of all the commands.
Also $ in sed "s/" is the regex for the end of line. and ^ is the begin line.
for example:
Code:

bash-3.00$ cat filename
Some test code here
bash-3.00$ cat filename|sed "s/$/9/"
Some test code here9
bash-3.00$ cat filename|sed "s/^/9/"
9Some test code here

Is that what you meant to ask?

Last edited by Shellslave; 08-24-2012 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: mistake

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting subscriber no in text file using KSH....

:confused:Dears , I have text file I need to insert the subscriber number at position 32, and need to keep the next field at position 53 (no increasing of the record lenght), I mean I just want to replace the spaces at position 32 with subscirber number . for example A B A ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atiato
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem inserting text into file after specific line

this is utterly embarassing :( after posting here i revisited my files and found that when i used "vi" instead of a gui based editor, i suddenly found that the indentations were in fact wrong :( sorry about this :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mocca
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text and modifying the file

I am in a dire need of doing this job , please help from shell script or perl script. It will be highly appreciated. Please have a look at the following INPUT file; The first 14 rows are not of interest but I want them to be included in the output file as they are. From the row 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a string to a text file

Hello Can somebody please help me with the following script? I'm trying to create a text file with 20 blank lines and then insert a string in line 2 but nothing is printed in the itxtfile. I can create the file with 20 blank lines but when I "tell" it to print something on the second line, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting a column into a text file

I have a tab delimited text file with multiple columns (data.txt). I would like to insert a column into the text file. The column I want to insert is in a text file (column.txt). I want to insert it into the 5th column of data.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed and inserting text from another file

I need to insert text from one file into another file after specific term. I guess sed is the best method of doing this and I can insert a specified text string using this script but I am not sure how to modify it to insert text from another file: #!/bin/sh sed 's/\<VirtualHost... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
17 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting text into a file with awk or sed

Hello, I've been trying to get a script working that fetches weather-data and converts it into an .ics file. The script works so far put I'm stuck at the point where I need to add specific static data. A thorough search through the forum did not point me into the right direction. #!/bin/bash... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Schubi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text in file names while copying them.

I'm trying to find a Bourne shell script that will copy files from one directory using a wild card for the file name (*) and add some more characters in the middle of the file name as it is copied. As an example: /u01/tmp-file1.xml => /u02/tmp-file1-20130620.xml /u01/tmp-file2.xml => ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Keller
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting information from old text file into a new text file

Hello, I'm trying to take information from a list of hundreds of subject ids (where each line is a new subject id), and insert each line into a new text file that contains the pathnames for each subject. To clarify, all subject have a similiar path name (e.g., C:\data\SUBJECT_ID\) that contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: invisibledwarf
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting IDs from a text file into a sequence alignment file

Hi, I have one file with one column and several hundred entries File1: NA1 NA2 NA3And now I need to run a command within a mapping aligner tool to insert these sample names into a sequence alignment file (SAM) such that they look like this @RG ID:Library1 SM:NA1 PL:Illumina ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
7 Replies
test(1F)							   FMLI Commands							  test(1F)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and if its value is true, sets a 0 (TRUE) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (FALSE) exit status is set; test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to test. Normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (FIFO). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user-ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group-ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than 0. -t[fildes] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is 0. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). `(expression)` Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 test(1F)