Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting group information for accounts Post 302681657 by neutronscott on Friday 3rd of August 2012 07:22:02 PM
Old 08-03-2012
Sounds like a user management nightmare. Maybe they should use some sort of central authentication server.

The modification you described for changing 4 to 11, and getent to cat group are both correct. But in the case of cat group, you could just use while ((getline < "group_file") > 0)

the "it doesn't exist error" is because a user had a GID that the group_file doesn't... the ones it has will still be correct.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting information from /etc/group

How can I retrieve the group id of an entry in the /etc/group file given the group name? I tried using cut and grep but cant get around the problem.. I think this problem can be solved using these commands but I dont know how (I am a newbie at this) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepster
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group on the basis of common text in the square bracket and sorting

File A 99 >ac >ss >juk 70 >acb >defa 90 >ca 100 >aa >abc >bca 85 >cde 81 >ghi >ghij 87 >def >fgh <ijk 89 >fck >ghij >kill >aa The given output shud be 100 >aa >abc >bca 87 >def >fgh <ijk 89 >fck >ghij >kill >aa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a list of filenames but keeping the path information.

Hi All I've googled around for this and can't see a way of doing it. I have a file that contains a number of records that are layed out something like the following. /path/to/directory/that/contains/a/file/I/need/filename.pdf The path itself can vary both in terms of the names and the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

New To UNIX - Need Script to create report of user & group accounts

Hi, I'm new to the world of UNIX and have been asked to create a complex script (at least complex to me:confused:) for AIX UNIX to create a report of all the users on the server including server, user, UID, groups, GID, etc. Found a script using lsuser, but the output is still lacking. 2 things I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panthur
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting group of records and loading last record

Hi Everyone, I have below record set. File is fixed widht file 101newjersyus 20150110 101nboston us 20150103 102boston us 20140106 102boston us 20140103 I need to group record based on first 3 letters in our case(101 and 102) and sort last 8 digit in ascending order and print only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patricjemmy6
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

HELP on 'sectional' or 'group' sorting

Hi, I need to do some section/group sorting. At the moment, I get around it by grep group by group and then re-directing to the same 'final' output file. Below is what's been sorted so far based on the second field $ awk -F"," '{ { print $5 " == " $6 } }' /tmp/x.csv | grep -v "^env" | grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
groups(1)							   User Commands							 groups(1)

NAME
groups - print group membership of user SYNOPSIS
groups [user...] DESCRIPTION
The command groups prints on standard output the groups to which you or the optionally specified user belong. Each user belongs to a group specified in /etc/passwd and possibly to other groups as specified in /etc/group. Note that /etc/passwd specifies the numerical ID (gid) of the group. The groups command converts gid to the group name in the output. EXAMPLES
The output takes the following form: example% groups tester01 tester02 tester01 : staff tester02 : staff example% FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/group ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 groups(1)