Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spaces in filenames screwing things up... Post 302680881 by Corona688 on Thursday 2nd of August 2012 11:36:49 AM
Old 08-02-2012
See Useless Use of Backticks. Never ever use variables/backticks for open-ended lists. It's generally pointless, likely to truncate your data, and splits where it pleases instead of where you expect.

Since you're putting it in a loop anyway, you might as well save yourself the trouble and make it more direct.

The usual way to do this is

Code:
find ... | while read LINE
do
done

If you need to use the same results more than once, you could save find's output into a temporary file and read from that.
Code:
while read LINE
do
done < /tmp/filename

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames

I have a problem with the script below #!/bin/sh for vo in `find -maxdepth 1 -type f -regex "^\./*$"` do ls -l "$vo" some other commands done It works fine until `find ...` returns files with spaces. I've tryed to change IFS but haven't succeed Any solutions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to handle spaces in filenames

I'm trying to do something like that: for $filename in `ls -1` do some_command $filename done but it doesn't work properly for file names with spaces, for...in splits at spaces. Anyway around? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix filenames and spaces

I have files on my unix boxes that users have created with spaces. Example: /tmp/project plan ls -l "/tmp/project plan" works fine. $/tmp>ls -l "/tmp/project plan" -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 0 Jan 31 12:32 /tmp/project plan I created a file called test and put just the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames, for do

Hi All, I see similar problems in past threads but so far no answers have worked for me. I am trying to write a script which parses a txt file that contains one filename per line, then finds those files on the local disk and copies them to a specified directory. What I have: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naviztirf
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames

Hi I hope someone will be able to resolve this little teaser! I am running a script for file in `ls directory` do echo "$file" ...other code here.... done this works fine unless we receive a file with a name which has a space in it ie "filena me" (I know its not good... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through filenames with spaces

I need to loop through the files in a directory and process the files. But some of the filenames contain spaces. Here is a little test script I've been using to experiment. (I'm not really going to call 'echo', I'm doing some other processing.) Everything I try fails. How can I do this??... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and spaces in filenames

Hey there, this is my first post and I'll try to explain my situation as best I can.Here is a sample of the input file: ADO Sample.h,v ADO Sample 2010-05-21 lyonsb /repository/patents/TSCommon/OpenSource/Dundass/ug6mfc/DataSources/Ado/ADO Sample ADO SampleDoc.h,v ADO SampleDoc 2010-05-21... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodan90
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces in filenames

I have a problem mounting images because of the spaces in the filenames. Does anyone know how to rename files by removing the spaces with the find command? find Desktop/$dir -name "*.dmg" -print -exec ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianebaj
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in filenames

Hi, I have files like below, In files coming as spaces. Before transfering those files into ftp server. I want to remove the spaces and then can transfer the files into unix server. e.g: filenames are 1) SHmail _profile001_20120908.txt 2) SHmail_profile001 _20120908.txt 3) sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirankumar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading filenames with spaces

Hello I've got a certain no. of files in a directory whose names I'm reading and redirecting into a temporary text file using the command below: ls -l | grep ^- | awk '{print $9}'However, whenever the file names contain spaces the above command considers only the part of the file name up to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
5 Replies
GIT-SH-I18N(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-SH-I18N(1)

NAME
git-sh-i18n - Git's i18n setup code for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-i18n" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The 'git sh-i18n scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by Git's porcelain programs implemented in shell script. It provides wrappers for the GNU gettext and eval_gettext functions accessible through the gettext.sh script, and provides pass-through fallbacks on systems without GNU gettext. FUNCTIONS
gettext Currently a dummy fall-through function implemented as a wrapper around printf(1). Will be replaced by a real gettext implementation in a later version. eval_gettext Currently a dummy fall-through function implemented as a wrapper around printf(1) with variables expanded by the git-sh- i18n--envsubst(1) helper. Will be replaced by a real gettext implementation in a later version. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-SH-I18N(1)