Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace newline character between a double quotes to a space Post 302680291 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 1st of August 2012 03:36:15 PM
Old 08-01-2012
Try:
Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '(NR-1)%2{$1=$1}1' RS=\" ORS=\" infile

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I replace newline character?

Hi, I am trying to write a script to prepare some text for use as web content. What is happening is that all the newlines in the textfile are ignored, so I want to be able to replace/add a few characters so that for a file containg: This is line 1. This is line two. This is line four.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghoti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

newline character, space and tab after a string

no problem (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelina
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed I want to replace space by newline

Input: -------------------------- 123asd 456sdasda 789a ------------------------- output wanted: --------------------- 123asd 456sdasda 789a ---------------------- I want this by sed in simple way please help (I know by: tr ' ' '\n' < inputfile )I want it by sed only (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double double quotes using AWK/SED

Hi, I have data as "01/22/97-"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa""aaa""aabbbbbbbbcccccc""zbcd""dddddddddeeeeeeeeefffffff" I want to remove only the Consequitive double quotes and not the one which occurs single. My O/P must be ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 3rd occurance of SPACE with newline

I have file with SQL output as 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Expected output : 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Let me know if this can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameermohite
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Double quotes within double quotes in a column with space while loading a CSV file

Hi All, I'm unable to load the data using sql loader where there are double quotes within the double quotes As these are optionally enclosed by double quotes. Sample Data : "221100",138.00,"D","0019/1477","44012075","49938","49938/15043000","Television - 22" Refurbished - Airwave","Supply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace space by newline error

Hello I have had a requirement where I need to move data to a new line based on a text .So basically as soon as it encounters :61: it should move to a new line Source Data : :61:D100,74NCH1 :61:D797,50NCH2 :61:D89,38NCHK2 :61:D99,38NCHK12 :61:D79,38NCHK22 :61:D29,38NCHK5 Target Data... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamijia83
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace space within quotes

i have an output that i receive and it looks like this: echo '/var/FTPROOT/px/sci/archive/20171102070057904-DY_DC04_Daily Inventory Sync-en-us.csv' '/var/FTPROOT/px/sci/archive/20171102070058291-DY_DC07_Daily Inventory Sync-en-us.csv' what i want to do is replace the spaces in the file names... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace newline with comma and append quotes

Hi, I have below requirement. Apple Orange Banana Required O/p in bash 'Apple,Orange,Banana' Can you please help. Please wrap your samples, codes in CODE TAGS as per forum rules. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rtk
3 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ex(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its relative line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -i The case of letters is ignored in making comparisons -- that is, upper and lower case are considered identical. This applies to grep and fgrep only. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -w The expression is searched for as a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>', see ex(1).) (grep only) -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character other than newline matches that character. The character ^ matches the beginning of a line. The character $ matches the end of a line. A . (period) matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by an * (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. SEE ALSO
ex(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 GREP(1)