Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dd cloning of whole disk
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu dd cloning of whole disk Post 302677657 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 26th of July 2012 01:05:02 PM
Old 07-26-2012
The default block size of dd is 512 bytes. Try using bs=1M for example. The optimum value differs per system

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Disk cloning

Hello everybody, :confused: I have to change the system disk on an old PC running SCO 5.0.5. The disk is up and running, this is a preventive action. My experience on UNIX is very limited and I look for the easyest solution to clone this unit. Is it possible with commands or through a clone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhachez
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Hpux Disk Cloning

hello, Anybody that has already running script or command that can disk clone the hpux machine thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk cloning using ufsrestore

I am using ufsdump and ufsrestore to clone the root disk on one of my servers. I would like to automate this as much as possible, but have run into a problem where it prompts for changing the owner/mode when it is complete. Any ideas for running this in the background and not being prompted? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patricko0317
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

cloning a server

I wish to clone a RedHat EL5 server. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wazzu62
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem by cloning boot disk.

Hello guys! I use the Solaris 10 x86 machine. I need to clone the boot disk. Why, when I copy slice 1 - there is a following: # ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s1 | (cd /mnt && ufsrestore rf - ) DUMP: Warning - super-block on device `/dev/rdsk/c0d01` is corrupt - run fsck Dump: The Entire... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Automated disk cloning

Hi, I'm running Ubuntu on my laptop. To keep my data safe and easy disaster recovery as well I bought similar HDD to one installed in my laptop with higher capacity and using USB box I'm doing disk clone to it. So at any time I can replace disk and carry on with my work as before. I'm trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uvaio
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-UX server cloning

Hello Friends, Am in requirement to clone a Live HP-UX server here's details OS: HpUX B-11.11 with mirrored LVM disks . S/ws: Remedy, XML engine, Annoysystem, Oracle All Oracle, XMl and Remedy data is on SAM LUN which is used for clustering . My requirement to create a clone server and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
10 Replies

9. Linux

Disk cloning ?

Dear All I needed to clone my disk to another hard drive . I did it as the following : #dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc But after a while, the procedure ended with the "writing to /dev/sdc input/output error" message. Can you please let me know how can I overcome this as the fdisk now returns as "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
1 Replies
WREN(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   WREN(3)

NAME
wren, ata - hard disk interface SYNOPSIS
bind #H[drive] /dev bind #w[target[.lun]] /dev /dev/hd0disk /dev/hd0partition /dev/sd0disk /dev/sd0partition ... DESCRIPTION
The hard disk interfaces (wren, #w, is a SCSI disk; ata, #H, is an IDE or ATA disk) serve a one-level directory giving access to the hard disk partitions. The parameter to attach defines the numerical SCSI target and logical unit number or the IDE drive number to access. Both default to zero. Each partition name is prefixed by hd and the numeric drive identifier. The partition always exists and covers the entire disk. The size of each partition as reported by stat(2) is the number of bytes in the partition, so the size of is the size of the entire disk. The partition also always exists; it is the last block on the disk for SCSI, second to last for IDE. If it contains valid partition data, those partitions will be visible as well. Every time the device is bound, the partitions are updated to reflect any changes in the parti- tion file. The format of the partition file is the string plan9 partitions on a line, followed by partition specifications, one per line, consisting of a name and textual strings for the block start and limit for each partition on the disk. The program prep(8) writes the partition table for the disk; its use is preferred to writing it by hand. SEE ALSO
prep(8), scsi(3) SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/devwren.c /sys/src/9/pc/devata.c WREN(3)