Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract every filename containing certain string in a directory and do some commend per file Post 302673353 by 1988PF on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 09:10:43 PM
Old 07-17-2012
extract every filename containing certain string in a directory and do some commend per file

Hi,

Here is my question: suppose I have files like
Code:
1990_8xdaily_atmos.nc
1991_8xdaily_atmos.nc
1992_8xdaily_atmos.nc
1993_8xdaily_atmos.nc
1990_daily_atmos.nc
1991_daily_atmos.nc
1992_daily_atmos.nc
1993_daily_atmos.nc
1990_month_atmos.nc
1991_month_atmos.nc
1992_month_atmos.nc
1993_month_atmos.nc

in my directory.

And what I need to do is to catch the file with 8xdaily in their names and do some commend per file.

Basically, I guess the code should be like
Code:
for file in (what I'm asking)
do (do some commend using $file)
done

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion from filename using sed

Hi All, I posted something similar before but I now have a another problem. I have filenames as below TOP_TABIN240_20090323.200903231830 TOP_TABIN235_1_20090323.200903231830 i need to extract the dates as in bold. Using bash v 3.xx Im trying to using the print sed command but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract first line of a file and use as filename

I am trying to find a way to create a script which will extract the first line of a file and then rename the file (or create a new file with the same content as the old file) using the first line as the name. The first line being a single word, that is. I am hopeless at programming, if anyone can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.plumb
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from filename and create a new file

Hi, i have a filename CRED20102009.txt in a server 20102009 is the date of the file ddmmaaaa format the complete route is /dprod/informatica/Fuentes/CRED20102009.csv i want to extract the date to create a new file named Parameters.txt I need to create Parameters.txt with this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel1001
6 Replies

4. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a filename in a directory starts with a certain string

Hello, Trying to iterate over set of file in current directory and check if the file name in that folder matches certain string. This is what I have so far. Here I am checking if the file name starts with nexus, if so echo file name to log file. Getting weird syntax errors. Any help is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string from filename

Hi I need to extract the string from file name filename: FILENAME_STRUT_01032013_XXXXXXX.TXT I want 01032013 from the above file name. number of characters may differ before the required string but underscores(-) are same number i.e. after second underscore. Please advise on this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data according to keys from filename mentioned in file

Hello experts, I want to join a file with files whosE names are mentioned in one of the columns of the same file. File 1 t1,a,b,file number 1 t1,a,c,file number 1 t2,c,d,file number 2 t2,c,e,file number 2 t2,c,f,file number 2 t2,c,g,file number 2 t3,e,f,file number 3 file number 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract filename from a given string

I want to extract the filename from a string. This is how I have the rawdata ina file /home/sid/ftp/testing/abc.txt /home/sid/ftp/tested/testing/def.txt /home/sid/sftp/date/misc/hij.txt i want a script which would provide me an output like this Directory ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract when filename contains file seperator..?

Hi, I want to extract part of filename, for eg: File="010020004_S-TOR-Sort-CASAP_20170519_121504_0007.TXT" here i need first 5 words of file i.e. FilePart="$(echo "${File%"${File#******}"}")" Echo $FilePart 010020004_S-TOR-Sort-CASAP But what if i get filename like below: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)