Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirect time command output to file (cygwin bash) Post 302672567 by Corona688 on Monday 16th of July 2012 02:38:50 PM
Old 07-16-2012
You could also use printf to do it. It never prints newlines unless instructed.

Code:
printf "\n\n\n\n"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect time output

Hello All, I am trying to write a script that would capture the output of time command on a Sun machine. I have tried these commands $ time ls > out $ time ls 2> out I just get the ls output in the out file for the first one. Thanks for any help Chuck (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeech
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

redirect to both file and std output at the same time

hello can some one please help me to redirect the output of a command to both std output and a file. this is little urgent. sridhar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: send2sridhar
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Output of ls command on Cygwin

what does the '+' sign stand for on the output of ls command on cygwin? -rw-------+ 1 milhan None 146783 Jun 19 12:10 schedule.pdf -rw-------+ 1 milhan None 320 Aug 15 17:14 current.txt -rw------- 1 milhan None 24576 Dec 28 2008 fdfd.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to redirect grep command output to same file

Hi Everyone, Can anyone please tell me, how can I redirect the grep command output to same file. I am trying with below command but my original file contains no data after executing the command. $grep pattern file1 > file1 Kind Regards, Eswar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: picheswa
5 Replies

6. AIX

Unable to get the full content into a file when I redirect installp command output..

When i use the command to check the preview of the filesets to be installed using CLI # When using this commad 'm able to see all Preview view of the filesets to be installed installp -apgX -d "." all # When I redirected the same output to a file 'm able to see only half the details... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sounddappan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash command in makefile (cygwin)

Hello, In my make file (make 3.81), I use a combination of shell commands to automatically create the name of my build directory. OS := $(shell uname -s) ARCH := $(shell uname -m) KERN := $(shell uname -r | cut -d. -f 1,2) BDIR := $(OS)_$(KERN).$(ARCH)When I boot into different OSs, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output of a cvs command to a file as well as the console.

Hi can anyone tell me how to redirect the ouput of a cvs command to a file as well as the console? i tried using cvs add <filename> | tee logFile cvs add <filename> 2>logFile 2>&1 All i could get is only on console or on file. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitag2010
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange suppression of output with bash and cygwin

Hi, although I am not expert in bash, so please forgive me if this is silly, I think that this is strange: I have this command: find . -type f -print0 |xargs -0 grep -i -e 'some rexp' and it works fine. But when I create a bash script (on cygwin) to run this command, there is no output !!!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niki999
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Redirect the output of telnet command on a terminal to a file ?

(/home/user1)-> more script.sh #!/bin/ksh ( echo open devicename sleep 3; echo user; sleep 2; echo password; sleep 2; echo "/info/dump"; ---------> This needs to redirect to a file .Can be number of pages sleep 2; echo "exit" ) | telnet Please use code tags next time for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: necro98
2 Replies
JOT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    JOT(1)

NAME
jot -- print sequential or random data SYNOPSIS
jot [-cnr] [-b word] [-p precision] [-s string] [-w word] [reps [begin [end [s]]]] DESCRIPTION
The jot utility is used to print out increasing, decreasing, random, or redundant data (usually numbers) one per line. The following options are available: -b word Just print word repetitively. -c This is an abbreviation for -w %c. -n Do not print the final newline normally appended to the output. -p precision Print only as many digits or characters of the data as indicated by the integer precision. In the absence of -p, the precision is the greater of the precisions of begin and end. The -p option is overridden by whatever appears in a printf(3) conversion following -w. -r Generate random data instead of sequential data, the default. -s string Print data separated by string. Normally, newlines separate data. -w word Print word with the generated data appended to it. Octal, hexadecimal, exponential, ASCII, zero padded, and right-adjusted represen- tations are possible by using the appropriate printf(3) conversion specification inside word, in which case the data are inserted rather than appended. The last four arguments indicate, respectively, the number of data, the lower bound, the upper bound, and the step size or, for random data, the seed. While at least one of them must appear, any of the other three may be omitted, and will be considered as such if given as ``-''. Any three of these arguments determines the fourth. If four are specified and the given and computed values of reps conflict, the lower value is used. If fewer than three are specified, defaults are assigned left to right, except for s, which assumes its default unless both begin and end are given. Defaults for the four arguments are, respectively, 100, 1, 100, and 1, except that when random data are requested, s defaults to a seed depending upon the time of day. reps is expected to be an unsigned integer, and if given as zero is taken to be infinite. begin and end may be given as real numbers or as characters representing the corresponding value in ASCII. The last argument must be a real number. Random numbers are obtained through random(3). The name jot derives in part from iota, a function in APL. EXAMPLES
The command: jot - 42 87 1 prints the integers from 42 to 87, inclusive. The command: jot 21 -1 1.00 prints 21 evenly spaced numbers increasing from -1 to 1. The command: jot -c 128 0 prints the ASCII character set. The command: jot -w xa%c 26 a prints the strings ``xaa'' through ``xaz''. The command: jot -r -c 160 a z | rs -g 0 8 prints 20 random 8-letter strings. The command: jot -b y 0 is equivalent to yes(1). The command: jot -w %ds/old/new/ 30 2 - 5 prints thirty ed(1) substitution commands applying to lines 2, 7, 12, etc. The command: jot 0 9 - -.5 prints the stuttering sequence 9, 8, 8, 7, etc. The command: jot -b x 512 > block creates a file containing exactly 1024 bytes. The command: expand -`jot -s, - 10 132 4` sets tabs four spaces apart starting from column 10 and ending in column 132. The command: grep `jot -s "" -b . 80` prints all lines 80 characters or longer. SEE ALSO
ed(1), expand(1), rs(1), seq(1), yes(1), printf(3), random(3) BSD
January 5, 2010 BSD