Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX File descriptor directory in HPUX Post 302670911 by mohtashims on Thursday 12th of July 2012 04:00:20 PM
Old 07-12-2012
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin_xor
Are you looking for open files by the process? "lsof" is available for HP-UX as well.

Code:
lsof -c process_name

I need the number of file descriptor a process has opened and the max limit that is set on my system.

Can you help me with the exact command ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. Programming

Problems with file descriptor

Hi, look at the following code: The client after estabilishing a connection with the server does the following: if ((peter = fopen(argv, "r")) == NULL){ printf("errore\n"); exit(0); } ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: teo
11 Replies

4. Programming

File descriptor constant

I have a requirement to close all the file descriptors from 3 to 1024 for a particular application. Right now, this is how I do it .. for ( int i = 3 ; i <= 1024; ++i ) close(i); The change I am looking at is, I want to do away with the number 1024 and replace it with a constant which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptor Table

Im working on writing a small operating system. I am currently working on implementing dup, dup2, pipe, and close and I need to implement some type of file descriptor table in my PCB. I was wondering if there is anyone who is familiar with linux/unix implementation of these tables who could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashaman0
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor

Hi What the below path contains? /proc/<pid>/fd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

file descriptor count

I am trying to write a script which will only show me the file descriptor count for a process/pid. My script will return me the count only not the whole output. For example, I would like my script to return the output 23 this case, not the whole output. Can anybody please help me how do I get... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with File Descriptor in a While loop

Hi, I am trying to read a file line-by-line in a while loop, and perform some tasks which involves non-interactive SSH to a remote server. The code looks something like this -- #!/usr/bin/ksh export myFile=/path/to/my/file.load while read line do do something ## Adding the SSH... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subu1987
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable File Descriptor

Greetings. I am happily using constructs like the following; I have set -x to show fine distinctions. $ exec 4> afile + exec + 4> afile $ print -u4 This is the first line in afileAs you can see from the -x expansion, the shell performed the exec command and redirected file descriptor to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpaskudniak
4 Replies
checkrestart(1) 						  debian-goodies						   checkrestart(1)

NAME
checkrestart - check which processes need to be restarted after an upgrade SYNOPSIS
checkrestart [ -hvpa ] [ -b blacklist_file ] [ -i package_name ] DESCRIPTION
The checkrestart program tries to determine if there are processes in the system that need to be restarted after a system upgrade. This is necessary since an upgrade will usually bring new system libraries and running processes will be still using the old versions of the libraries. In stable Debian GNU/Linux systems this is typically needed to eliminate a system exposure to a vulnerability which might have been fixed by upgrading a library which that process makes use of. Consequently, checkrestart is sometimes used as an audit tool to find outdated versions of libraries in use, particularly after security upgrades. Administrators should not, however, rely on its output completely (see BUGS below). This script needs to run as root in order to obtain the information it needs for analysis. OPTIONS
-h,--help Show the program help and exit. -v,--verbose Generate detailed output. This output includes the list of all processes found using deleted files or descriptors as well as the deleted files and descriptors found. -p,--package Only process deleted files that belong to a package, ignoring deleted files which do not have an associated package in the package system. -a,--all Process all deleted files regardless of location. This makes the program analyse deleted files even if they would be discarded because they are located in locations, such as /tmp , which are known to produce false positives. It will take preceded if used simultaneously with the -p option. -b file,--blacklist=file Read a blacklist of regular expressions from file. Any files matching the patterns will be ignored. -i name,--ignore=name Ignore services that are associated to the package name provided in name. EXIT STATUS
The program will exit with error (1) if a non-root user tries to run it. Otherwise, it will always exit with error status 0. BUGS
This program might fail if the output of the lsof utility changes since it depends on it to detect which deleted files are used by pro- cesses. It might also output some false positives depending on the processes' behaviour since it does not check yet if the (deleted) files in use are really libraries. If you find a false positive in checkrestart please provide the following information when submitting a bug report: -- The output of checkrestart using the -v (verbose) option. -- The output of running the following command as root: lsof | egrep 'delete|DEL|path inode' Checkrestart is also sensitive to the kernel version in use. And might fail to work with newer (or older) versions. A rewrite to make it less dependent on lsof could improve this, however. SEE ALSO
lsof(8) AUTHOR
checkrestart was written by Matt Zimmerman for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. COPYRIGHT AND LICENCE
Copyright (C) 2001 Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> Copyright (C) 2007,2010-2011 Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfs@debian.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. On Debian systems, a copy of the GNU General Public License may be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. debian-goodies December 19 2006 checkrestart(1)