Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting Varible with AWK in KSH Post 302670009 by cvigeant on Wednesday 11th of July 2012 01:40:31 PM
Old 07-11-2012
Setting Varible with AWK in KSH

I am trying to set a variable from this AWK command in KSH but I keep getting an error that says my variable cannot be found.

Code:
LOADNO = $(awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt)

If I just run awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt I get the right value but as soon as I try to assign this variable it does not work.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Last edited by Scott; 07-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using varible/varible substitution in Perl/sed Search & Replace

Hi, I have a program that searches for a particular string patten. I am however having difficulty passing the varible $i (in a loop) as the string pattern to replace. Using either perl or sed search and replace statements, I get the same kinda result. For example, using the perl: for i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent help needed for ksh shell setting

Today I logged as root on my HP-UX server and by mistake executed below command # ksh -i vi Then onwards for every root logging the ksh shell giving wired output to every command e.g # ls kÚ .brw_history .brwpause .brwtmp : : : 1+~H4p+À+~KÑ 1+Ðè d 15kÚ 1d+~èYÑd:ðè½h|À+~èY4:àh|À+ And so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a varible into file in ksh

set filename $logDir/PyLog/$logname echo $filename >> logname.txt I am trying to write to write the varibale filename into a file logname.txt,it is not working could any one suggest y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Setting multiples variables with an array

ih all, info=$(get_Info $daemon) # $info give : # "ev20 8800 TTIOGC 12345 astos EDITEUR 0 0 . ." server=$(echo $info | cut -d" " -f1) port=$(echo $info | cut -d" " -f2) dname=$(echo $info | cut -d" " -f3) dport=$(echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting ksh environmental variable

Hi, I have problem setting up environmental variables. The idea is to start with main.ksh script that will run setting.ksh, and in side of it I'll set up variables. Please take a look at my code, and help me to find my mistake. Thanks, Mila Main.ksh look like this: #!/usr/bin/ksh #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mefquik
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Variable in TCL to be understood by KSH Shell

Hi , I am having one TCL TK script , I am setting some variables in the GUI TK interface set DI 1 set MODELS_PATH /a/d/path but I want to make ksh shell understand the variables when I am running TK script I tried to do like this set a but it is not working ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable in a while loop (.ksh script)

Hello Everyone, I'm still trying to grasp many concepts in .ksh scripting, one of them being variables inside loops. My problem is the following: * I'm trying to set a variable inside a while read loop to reuse it outside of said loop. My lines are the following :... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with setting vi as my default editor in ksh

Hi , Below is the content of my .profile $cat .profile # Workstation users: Make changes to your .profile file in your home dir. . /.profile set -o vi PS1=$ But anytime I login I have to source "set -o vi" separately.Please suggest (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh12621
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up env variable in ksh

I am facing a very strange issue. I have script in ksh with #!/bin/ksh as shebang. This script has function which sets the env variable before running other functions of the script. by set_up_env() { CONFIG_FILE="/opt/app/tools/deepmarking/latestVersion/script/UploadEnv" if then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - how to pass varible

I want to pass variable to below awk statement awk '/abc123/{x=NR+1}(NR<=x){print}' sftp_log_20150317.log I tried -v like below, but its not working. Please help!!! awk -v var1="abc123" '/var1/{x=NR+1}(NR<=x){print}' sftp_log_20150317.log Input file is: sftp_log_20150317.log ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)