Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Splitting files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting files Post 302665349 by clx on Monday 2nd of July 2012 11:17:02 AM
Old 07-02-2012
So, you could do some math to get the no-of-lines required to split the file in n parts..

Code:
required_parts=12
total_lines=$(wc -l < your_file)
lines_to_be_splited=$(echo \($t+$n-1\)/$n | bc)

split -l $lines_to_be_splited your_file

Is that you desired for?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting the files

Hi, I'am using HP-UX.I have a input file which has 102 drop statements in it.I'am using csplit to split the files.The upper limit is 99 only.I'am using the -n 102 option.It says "suffix size not vaild".Any suggestions how to do it using csplit? Thanx in advance, sounder. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sounder123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large files

Hi Unix gurus, We have a masterfile which is to be split into smallerfiles with names as masterfile00,masterfile01,masterfile03...etal I was able to split the file using the "Split" cmd but as masterfileaa,masterfileab.. Is it posiible to change the default suffix? or is there any other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rvbs
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

splitting the files

Hi, How can i split the big file by the lines?. For eg. I wanna split the file from the line 140 to 1700. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

splitting the files

Hi, I have some files with 2 million odd records which i need to split into chunks of 0.5 millions. I have the file sorted with a key column in order. The same key value can appear as 4 or 5 records in the file. Hence after splitting we are checking whether all the key values are present in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting files from one file

Hi, I have an input file like: 111 abcdefgh asdfghjk dfghjkl 222 aaaaaaa bbbbbb 333 djfhfgjktitjhgfkg 444 djdhfjkhfjkghjkfg hsbfjksdbhjkgherjklg fjkhfjklsahjgh fkrjkgnj I want to read this input file and make separate output files with the header as numric value like "111"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saltysumi
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting Files Help

Hi Gurus, Lets say i have a file with some 30 records... How can i split that file into 3 files Also it shud be dynamic in the sense.. I wouldnt mind if file 1 has 15, file 2 has 10 and file 3 has 5.... Please help.. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting files into 100 files with field value

I want a script to split my file upon the last field (15) As file A,b,c,.......,01 C,v,n,.......,02 C,r,v,........,01 F,s,a,........,03 X,y,d,........,99 To make output 01.txt A,b,c,.......,01 C,r,v,........,01 02.txt C,v,n,.......,02 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting log files

I am trying to split my IRSSI logs into weekly and monthly .log files. My log format looks like this: --- Day changed Fri Mar 04 2016 00:11 <Jack> Test --- Day changed Sat Mar 05 2016 00:11 <Jack> Test --- Day changed Sun Mar 06 2016 15:20 <Jack> Test The script I have been playing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stacked
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[k|m] Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l line_count Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
August 21, 2005 BSD