Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read all files in a directory for a unix command Post 302663011 by koneru_18 on Wednesday 27th of June 2012 11:59:43 AM
Old 06-27-2012
Read all files in a directory for a unix command

Hello,

Below, I have a unix command, which can be executable for single file.
Code:
cat input.txt | sort -k3,3 > output.txt

I have 100 input files in a directory. It is hectic and time taking to run the above command for all the 100 files for 100 times.

Now, I want to execute the above unix command to all the files in a directory. And the output should be written in an output directory with same input file name.

Please help me in this.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data.

Last edited by vbe; 06-27-2012 at 01:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files from a unix directory to a windows directory

Any body any ideas i'm failry new to this so any help would be appreciated. Cheers Steve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gleads
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from fileList.txt, copy files from directory tree

Hi, hopefully this is a fairly simple Q&A. I have a clean file list of approximately 180 filenames with no directory or slashes in front of the filename nor any extension or dot ".". I would like to read from this list, find these files recursively down through directory trees, copy the files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix command/s to find files older than 2 hours in a directory

I need to write a script to find files older than 2 hours in set of direcotries and list them ina mail. I know find command ti list files greater/lesser than days but i need to do it for hours. Any input. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Presanna
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Files from a Directory

Hi, I have a requirement where I have get the files from FTP server then delete the files in the FTP server and then store the file name within the file where there is "TR". i.e Filename|TR|20071231|.... Once I finish loading my file I have to archive the files. Is there any way to do it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_418
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help on how to read command in unix

can any one please help me how to use "read" command for openig a file.i want to process the file record by record and then needs to search for a particular string at a particular position.can any one please let me know the code.i am new to the shell. below are sample sample records ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raoscb
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read files from directory

hi i have a directory /tmp/Satya,it contains 5.FILE 6.FILE 7.FILE i need to read each file , and read its content line by line please help thanks Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read directory files and count number of lines

Hello, I'm trying to create a BASH file that can read all the files in my working directory and tell me how many words and lines are in that file. I wrote the following code: FILES="*" for f in "$FILES" do echo -e `wc -l -w $f` done My issue is that my file is outputting in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply 'awk' to all files in a directory or individual files from a command line

Hi All, I am using the awk command to replace ',' by '\t' (tabs) in a csv file. I would like to apply this to all .csv files in a directory and create .txt files with the tabs. How would I do this in a script? I have the following script called "csvtabs": awk 'BEGIN { FS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read and append certain files form directory

Hi ,i have a question ,if I am in sertain directory and I have 4 files *.c how can I read and append this files in file backup.bac Thanks find ./ -name "*.csh" | wc -l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i read only last 5 files records from a directory.?

Hello team, I have a directory containing huge number of files. I need to go select last 5 files and read it to do a calculation. Kindly guide, how can i achieve it. Regards, Sadique (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
13 Replies
IXPC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IXPC(1)

NAME
ixpc - ixp client SYNOPSIS
ixpc [-a address] action file ixpc -v DESCRIPTION
Overview ixpc is a client to access a 9P file server from the command line or from shell scripts. It can be used to configure wmii(1). Options -a address Lets you specify the address to which ixpc will establish a connection. If this option is not supplied, and the environment variable IXP_ADDRESS is set, ixpc will use this value as its address. Currently, the address can only be a unix socket file or a tcp socket. The syntax for address is taken (along with many other profound ideas) from the Plan 9 operating system and has the form unix!/path/to/socket for unix socket files, and tcp!hostname!port for tcp sockets. -v Prints version information to stdout, then exits. The syntax of the actions is as follows: write Writes the supplied data from the standard input to file, overwriting any previous data. The data to be written is arbitrary and only gains meaning (and restrictions) when it is interpreted by wmiiwm(1). See EXAMPLES below. xwrite The same as write, but the data is taken from subsequent arguments, rather than the standard input. create Creates file or directory. If the file exists, nothing is done. ls Lists files and directories. read Reads file or directory contents. remove Removes file or directory tree. ENVIRONMENT
IXP_ADDRESS See above. EXAMPLES
ixpc ls / This prints the root directory of the wmii filesystem, if IXP_ADDRESS is set to the address of wmii. For more information about the contents of this filesystem, see wmiiwm(1). ixpc xwrite /ctl quit Write 'quit' to the main control file of the wmii filesystem, effectively leaving wmii. ixpc write /keys < keys.txt Replace the contents of /keys with the contents of keys.txt SEE ALSO
wmii(1) http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/man/5/INDEX.html ixpc-VERSION IXPC(1)