Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search for pattern in odd lines? Post 302660559 by Scrutinizer on Friday 22nd of June 2012 03:51:55 PM
Old 06-22-2012
Try:
Code:
sed -n '/^0$/{N;};/^1011$/{N;};/\n/p' infile

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for pattern and grab some lines before pattern

I want to search a file for a string and then if the string is found I need the line that the string is on - but also the previous two lines from the file (that the pattern will not be found in) This is on solaris Can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print lines between the search pattern

hi, I have a file say x.txt containing xxx 123 bla bla ... you xxx dfk dbf ... me xxx ... ... keeps on.. i need to search for pattern in the line starting xxx in the file. If pattern matched, I need to fetch all the lines till i find next xxx. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsshini
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search in multiple lines

Hi, I have to search those statements from the file which starts from "shanky"(only shanky, shanky09 or 09shanky is not allowed) and ends with ");". These two string can be in a same line or different line. And also i have to negate those lines which starts with #. Can any one please give me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanky09
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for Pattern and Print including Lines in between

Gurus, I have a big file that needs to be sorted out and I cant figure out what to do. The file name is as below: Name: xxxx yyyy nnnn Description: dfffgs sdgsgsf hsfhhs afgghhjdgj fjklllll gsfhfh Updated: jafgadsgg gsg Corrected: date today The file consists of line like these. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read lines between search pattern

I have a file split something like 01/11/2010: No of users 100 02/11/2010: No of users 102 03/11/2010: No of users 99 ... I want to search the file for a particular date and then extract the following line with the date, something like 02/11/2010 No of users 102 I can grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern and read lines

Hi, I have a huge de-limited file which has pattern : 99"9876"2010-11-21 12:51:01"J"MNOPQRS ID# 2-1234-1234-0099-9876-0 "" <<read>> 99"9876"2010-11-21 12:51:01"K"R-EMP# 01234567 (LOGOFF) "" <<read>> 99"9876"2010-11-21 12:51:01"L" *AUTO LOGOFF* ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern on logfile and search for day/dates and skip duplicate lines if any

Hi, I've written a script to search for an Oracle ORA- error on a log file, print that line and the .trc file associated with it as well as the dateline of when I assumed the error occured. In most it is the first dateline previous to the error. Unfortunately, this is not a fool proof script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find to delete lines with pattern and even or odd number

In the below directory I am trying to delete all lines with a .bam extention that have the pattern IonCode_ followed by an even number. I am also trying to delete all lines with a .fastq extention that have the pattern IonCode_ followed by an odd number. I was going to use find but can see all... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
fgrep(1)							   User Commands							  fgrep(1)

NAME
fgrep - search a file for a fixed-character string SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] -e pattern_list [file...] /usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] -f file [file...] /usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] pattern [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] -e pattern_list [-f file] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] [-e pattern_list] -f file [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] pattern [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fgrep (fast grep) utility searches files for a character string and prints all lines that contain that string. fgrep is different from grep(1) and from egrep(1) because it searches for a string, instead of searching for a pattern that matches an expression. fgrep uses a fast and compact algorithm. The characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and are interpreted literally by fgrep, that is, fgrep does not recognize full regular expressions as does egrep. These characters have special meaning to the shell. Therefore, to be safe, enclose the entire string within single quotes (a'). If no files are specified, fgrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line that is found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line that is found if there is more than one input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/fgrep and /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep: -b Precedes each line by the block number on which the line was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by con- text. The first block is 0. -c Prints only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Searches for a string in pattern-list. This is useful when the string begins with a -. -f pattern-file Takes the list of patterns from pattern-file. -h Suppresses printing of files when searching multiple files. -i Ignores upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Prints the names of files with matching lines once, separated by new-lines. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precedes each line by its line number in the file. The first line is 1. -s Works silently, that is, displays nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Prints all lines except those that contain the pattern. -x Prints only lines that are matched entirely. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep only: -q Quiet. Does not write anything to the standard output, regardless of matching lines. Exits with zero status if an input line is selected. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Specifies a path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. /usr/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -e pattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fgrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fgrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found 1 If no matches are found 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files, even if matches were found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally, there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F. SunOS 5.11 24 Mar 2006 fgrep(1)