Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove duplicate chars and sort string [SED] Post 302659773 by jds93 on Thursday 21st of June 2012 11:25:17 AM
Old 06-21-2012
Yes. No 'uniq' or 'sort' this time Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting the last 3 chars from a string using sed

Hi. Can I extract the last 3 characters from a given string using sed ? Why the following doesn't work (it prints the full string) : echo "abcd" | sed '/\.\.\.$/p' doesn't work ? output: abcd Thanks in advance, 435 Gavea. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
7 Replies

2. Solaris

How to remove duplicate records with out sort

Can any one give me command How to delete duplicate records with out sort. Suppose if the records like below: 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 234,abc,456 712,bcd,789 out tput should be 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 Key for the records is 2nd and 3rd fields.fields are seperated by colon(,). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate records with out sort

Can any one give me command How to delete duplicate records with out sort. Suppose if the records like below: 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 234,abc,456 712,bcd,789 out tput should be 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 Key for the records is 2nd and 3rd fields.fields are seperated by colon(,). (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate sentence/string in perl?

Hi, I have two strings like this in an array: For example: @a=("Brain aging is associated with a progressive imbalance between intracellular concentration of Reactive Oxygen Species","Brain aging is associated with a progressive imbalance between intracellular concentration of Reactive... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and Remove Duplicate on file

How do we sort and remove duplicate on column 1,2 retaining the record with maximum date (in feild 3) for the file with following format. aaa|1234|2010-12-31 aaa|1234|2010-11-10 bbb|345|2011-01-01 ccc|346|2011-02-01 bbb|345|2011-03-10 aaa|1234|2010-01-01 Required Output ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabarif16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines based on field and sort

I have a csv file that I would like to remove duplicate lines based on field 1 and sort. I don't care about any of the other fields but I still wanna keep there data intact. I was thinking I could do something like this but I have no idea how to print the full line with this. Please show any method... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove not only the duplicate string but also the keyword of the string in Perl

Hi Perl users, I have another problem with text processing in Perl. I have a file below: Linux Unix Linux Windows SUN MACOS SUN SUN HP-AUX I want the result below: Unix Windows SUN MACOS HP-AUX so the duplicate string will be removed and also the keyword of the string on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: askari
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines, sort it and save it as file itself

Hi, all I have a csv file that I would like to remove duplicate lines based on 1st field and sort them by the 1st field. If there are more than 1 line which is same on the 1st field, I want to keep the first line of them and remove the rest. I think I have to use uniq or something, but I still... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove newline chars based on pattern mis-match

Greetings Experts, I am in AIX; I have a file generated through awk after processing the input files. Now I need to replace or remove the new-line characters on all lines that doesn't have a ; which is the last character on the line. I tried to use sed 's/\n/ /g' After checking through the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only the chars that match a given set in a string

For a given string that may contain any ASCII chars, i.e. that matches .*, find and print only the chars that are in a given subset. The string could also have numbers, uppercase, special chars such as ~!@#$%^&*(){}\", whatever a user could type in without going esoteric For simplicity take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naderra
1 Replies
uniq(1) 							   User Commands							   uniq(1)

NAME
uniq - report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-f fields] [-s char] [ input_file [output_file]] uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-n] [ + m] [ input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility will read an input file comparing adjacent lines, and write one copy of each input line on the output. The second and suc- ceeding copies of repeated adjacent input lines will not be written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Precedes each output line with a count of the number of times the line occurred in the input. -d Suppresses the writing of lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignores the first fields fields on each input line when doing comparisons, where fields is a positive decimal integer. A field is the maximal string matched by the basic regular expression: [[:blank:]]*[^[:blank:]]* If fields specifies more fields than appear on an input line, a null string will be used for comparison. -s chars Ignores the first chars characters when doing comparisons, where chars is a positive decimal integer. If specified in con- junction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields will be ignored. If chars specifies more characters than remain on an input line, a null string will be used for comparison. -u Suppresses the writing of lines that are repeated in the input. -n Equivalent to -f fields with fields set to n. +m Equivalent to -s chars with chars set to m. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: input_file A path name of the input file. If input_file is not specified, or if the input_file is -, the standard input will be used. output_file A path name of the output file. If output_file is not specified, the standard output will be used. The results are unspeci- fied if the file named by output_file is the file named by input_file. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the uniq command The following example lists the contents of the uniq.test file and outputs a copy of the repeated lines. example% cat uniq.test This is a test. This is a test. TEST. Computer. TEST. TEST. Software. example% uniq -d uniq.test This is a test. TEST. example% The next example outputs just those lines that are not repeated in the uniq.test file. example% uniq -u uniq.test TEST. Computer. Software. example% The last example outputs a report with each line preceded by a count of the number of times each line occurred in the file: example% uniq -c uniq.test 2 This is a test. 1 TEST. 1 Computer. 2 TEST. 1 Software. example% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of uniq: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
comm(1), pack(1), pcat(1), sort(1), uncompress(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1996 uniq(1)