Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to obtain a variable between subroutines Post 302659605 by Arun_Linux on Thursday 21st of June 2012 08:10:47 AM
Old 06-21-2012
how to obtain a variable between subroutines

Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
sub1 () {

for ((i=0;i<10;i++))
do
  export  a=$i;
   echo "value of a is $a";
   sleep 1
done
}
sub1 &

sub2 () {

for ((j=0;j<10;j++))
do
   echo "value of a is $a";
   sleep 1
done
}
sub2

Output:
Code:
bash-3.00$ ./var_test.sh 
value of a is 
value of a is 0
value of a is 
value of a is 1
value of a is 
value of a is 2
value of a is 
value of a is 3
value of a is 
value of a is 4
value of a is

I want the value of $a to be reflected in sub2.
Any idea ?????

Last edited by Arun_Linux; 06-21-2012 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Added output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell scripting: calling subroutines

How do I define and call a subroutine in a ksh script (or any shell)? I'm writing a script that uses a lot of the same code over and over and I don't want to waste time/space. Thanks, Chuck (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Hash Tables to Subroutines

Hi: How do I pass a hash table down to a subroutine along with some other variables? For example, I have say a subroutine play_with_hash: sub play_with_hash { my( $var1, $var2, %my_hash ) = @_; #do stuff with %my_hash ........... } Then I want to call the subroutine... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirzabhai
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

obtain a new variable out of "for statment"

first i have pre-define some variable, then input those into a for statement for some process, finally, i want to get a new value out of it. A=192.168.16.1 B=192.168.32.1 C=192.168.64.1 for i in A B C do echo $i | nawk -F. '{ if ($3 > 16 and < 32) ....something like that, then ( $i=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3Gmobile
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

How can I obtain Hpux?

Hi, How can I obtain Hpux? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arabidi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Subroutines

I'm maintaining a variety of programs (mostly in Perl) I didn't build, and the perllib is huge on the server. When I run across a user-defined subroutine it takes me at least an hour to look through all the logical places, and sometimes I still can't find the definition. Is there an easy way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdownes
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the return code of subroutines executed as standalone as command line in Perl ?

How to do I get the return code of a subroutine in a perl module if invoke the subroutine as standalone, I have an module say TestExit.pm and in that i have a subroutine say myTest() which is returns 12, if i were to call the subroutine from command line like CASE:1 ( Without an explict... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with perl subroutines

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This subroutine needs to check if there was a file name given on the command line. If so, return that. Otherwise... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonkers062986
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use switches type arguments for subroutines in perl

i want to call subroutines in perl like: sub temp { ---- some code ----- } temp(-switchName, value1, --switchName2, value2) Like i know getoptions::Long is there for command line switches type arguments. So i want to know for subroutine type arguments. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl and clear case to obtain a file name as variable

proc get_view_rel_str { } { set cc_view :] end]] puts $cc_view set a puts $a set a end]] puts $a set a puts $a set a puts $a set a puts $a } get_view_rel_str this is a script in tcl with clearcase view (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subroutines; am I capturing them correctly?

HI Folks - Again, I'm very sorry for the amateur post. I'm reletively new to shell scripting so please bear with me. I have a script that execute another script which stops a particular set of services for my application. IF the execution is successful, I want to check for any hung ESSSVR... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
4 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)