Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Turning to SED to select specific records Post 302659181 by drl on Wednesday 20th of June 2012 12:51:22 PM
Old 06-20-2012
Hi, gjackson123.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjackson123
Smilie ...There is no need to provide sample input data file ...
Meta-advice.

If one were to want more than one suggested solution, one would supply sample data. That allows consistency among results. Otherwise, you are putting an additional burden on the responders to come up with sample data, which, in addition to being likely different from one another, may not be representative of the real set. In general, if faced with the task of creating sample data in addition to a solution, then I probably will move on to other questions without attempting to solve the problem.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Last edited by drl; 06-22-2012 at 11:51 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select records based on search criteria on first column

Hi All, I need to select only those records having a non zero record in the first column of a comma delimited file. Suppose my input file is having data like: "0","01/08/2005 07:11:15",1,1,"Created",,"01/08/2005" "0","01/08/2005 07:12:40",1,1,"Created",,"01/08/2005"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable to select records with awk

As part of a bigger task, I had to read thru a file and separate records into various batches based on a field. Specifically, separate records based on the value in the batch field as defined below. The batch field left-justified numbers. The datafile is here > cat infile 12345 1 John Smith ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically select records from several files and then run a C executable file inside the script

Dear list its my first post and i would like to greet everyone What i would like to do is select records 7 and 11 from each files in a folder then run an executable inside the script for the selected parameters. The file format is something like this 7 100 200 7 100 250 7 100 300 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gtolis
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mysql how to select a specific row from a table

i have a table records ------------ id | user | time | event 91 admin | 12:00 | hi 92 admin | 11:00 | hi 93 admin | 12:00 | bye 94 admin | 13:00 | bye 95 root | 12:00 | hi 96 root | 12:30 | hi 97 root | 12:56 | hi how could i only select and display only the user and event from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Block of records to select from a file

Hello: I am new to shell script programming. Now I would like to select specific records block from a file. For example, current file "xyz.txt" is containing 1million records and want to select the block of records from line number 50000 to 100000 and save into a file. Can anyone suggest me how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print only select records from file2

Print only records from file 2 that do not match file 1 based on criteria of comparing column 1 and column 6 Was trying to play around with following code I found on other threads but not too successful Code: awk 'NR==FNR{p=$1;$1=x;A=$0;next}{$2=$2(A?A:",,,")}1' FS=~ OFS=~ file1 FS="*"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To select non-duplicate records using awk

Friends, I have data sorted on id like this id addressl 1 abc 2 abc 2 abc 2 abc 3 aabc 4 abc 4 abc I want to pick all ids with addressesses leaving out duplicate records. Desired output would be id address 1 abc 2 abc 3 abc 4 abc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paresh n doshi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select records and fields

Hi All I would like to modify a file like this: >antax gioq21 tris notes abcdefghij klmnopqrs >betax gion32 ter notes2 tuvzabcdef ahgskslsooin this: >tris abcdefghij klmnopqrs >ter tuvzabcdef ahgskslsoo So, I would like to remove the first two fields(and output field 3) in record... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick way to select many records from a large file

I have a file, named records.txt, containing large number of records, around 0.5 million records in format below: 28433005 1 1 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 28433004 0 2 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 2 ... Another file is a key file, named key.txt, which is the list of some numbers in the first column of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenongz
5 Replies
audit(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  audit(4)

NAME
audit - audit trail format and other information for auditing DESCRIPTION
Audit records are generated when users make security-relevant system calls, as well as by self-auditing processes that call (see aud- write(2)). Access to the auditing system is restricted to super-user. Each audit record consists of an audit record header and a record body. The record header is comprised of sequence number, process ID, event type, and record body length. The sequence number gives relative order of all records; the process ID belongs to the process being audited; the event type is a field identifying the type of audited activity; the length is the record body length expressed in bytes. The record body is the variable-length component of an audit record containing more information about the audited activity. For records generated by system calls, the body contains the time the audited event completes in either success or failure, and the parameters of the system calls; for records generated by self-auditing processes, the body consists of the time audwrite(2) writes the records and the high- level description of the event (see audwrite(2)). The records in the audit trail are compressed to save file space. When a process is audited the first time, a pid identification record (PIR) is written into the audit trail containing information that remains constant throughout the lifetime of the process. This includes the parent's process ID, audit tag, real user ID, real group ID, effective user ID, effective group ID, group ID list, effective, permit- ted, and retained privileges, compartment ID, and the terminal ID (tty). The PIR is entered only once per process per audit trail. Information accumulated in an audit trail is analyzed and displayed by (see audisp(1M)). AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
audsys(1M), audevent(1M), audisp(1M), audomon(1M), audwrite(2), audit(5), compartments(5), privileges(5). audit(4)