Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dereferencing variable in loop Post 302656853 by methyl on Friday 15th of June 2012 01:29:15 PM
Old 06-15-2012
Needs another eval to defer Shell interpreting the line until after the value of $i is known.
Code:
set -x
i=1
while [ $i -le 2 ]
do

eval RC_${i}=102
eval echo "\${RC_$i}"
i=`expr $i + 1`
done >> abc_log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables usage without dereferencing

Hi All, I came across a bit of code that seems to work, even though I didn't expect it to (now that's wierd!) #!/bin/sh set -x nn=15 if then echo "is true" fi The above code ends up comparing the string "nn" to number 15, but still evaluates to true. Here's the output when i run it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ag79
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dereferencing (?) in Perl

Hi, i want to print the mail exchange servers for a domain using the code below, the problem is that i just get the memory locations (?) of the elements in the output, instead of the mx servers. I really tried to find a solution, but i guess that i just don't get it (objects, OOP etc).. :) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoh
2 Replies

3. Programming

Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

// Hello all, I am having this error "Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type " on these 2 lines: xpoint = my_point->x; ypoint = my_point->y; I am having no clue y this is happening. Any help would be greately appreciated!!!! #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dereferencing in PERL

Hi, This should be a simple one. All I am doing is adding an email address to my email. Example abc@xyz.com I understand that the @ means arrays in PERL. So, I coded the backtick (`) to dereference it. But now I get abc`@`xyz.com Your help is appreciated. Thanks Nurani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nurani
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: dereferencing a hash of hashes

Hi there, I am trying to dereference my hash of hashes but post dereferencing, it seems to lose its structure I am using Data::dumper to help me anaylise. This is the code im using to build the HoH, (data comes from a file). I have also performed a Dumper on the data structure before and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rethink
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing variable with variable suffix through loop

I have a group of variables myLINEcnt1 - myLINEcnt10. I'm trying to printout the values using a for loop. I am at the head banging stage since i'm sure it has to be a basic syntax issue that i can't figure out. For myIPgrp in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do here i want to output the value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dereferencing variable inside egrep call

Hi guys I am trying to dereference a variable inside 'egrep -v ' command and getting a 'egrep: syntax error' : $ echo $exclude_list ts584d hf584db for i in `echo $exclude_list`; do egrep -v ${i} my_file done egrep: syntax error egrep: syntax error The syntax of the loop is correct.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)