Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users find/grep two items and display both Post 302655989 by Ygor on Thursday 14th of June 2012 05:59:10 AM
Old 06-14-2012
Try...
Code:
awk '/string/{print "line=" NR, "count=" ++cnt}' file1

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and display

I have the following data: A 1 2 3 A 4 5 6 A 7 8 9 I want to grep this data with A and 3 lines below it then display them in this format: A 1 2 3 A 4 5 6 A 7 8 9 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make grep -c display like grep -n?

Hey Guys, Wondering if there is a way to do the following I have a file called test.txt abc def abc abc def I have a pattern file called pattern.txt containing the following abc def I want to do a count, but have it display the count value preceeding each line like grep -n (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerrad
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk between items including items

OS=HP-UX ksh The following works, except I want to include the <start> and <end> in the output. awk -F '<start>' 'BEGIN{RS="<end>"; OFS="\n"; ORS=""} {print $2} somefile.log' The following work in bash but not in ksh sed -n '/^<start>/,/^<end>/{/LABEL$/!p}' somefile.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep - Searching for multiple items using one command

I am performing a regular check on UNIX servers which involves logging onto UNIX servers and using the grep command to check if a GID exists in the /etc/group directory e.g. grep 12345 /etc/group I have five to check on each server, is there anyway I can incorporate them into one command and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @MeDaveT
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a script to grep items in one file from another file

I have one master file "File1" with all such info in it. I need to grep each object under each list from another file "File2". Can anyone help me with a script for this. File 1 ------ List 1 Object 1 Object 2 List 2 Object 3 Object 1 List 3 Object 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sam R
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find similar items in a column

HI, I have a long file which looks like "1xxx_0_1" "1xxx" 500 5 "ABC*3-DEF*3-LL" "2yyy_0_1" "2yyy" 600 10 "ABC*2-DEF*2-LL" "3ddd_0_1" "3ddd" 150 52 "ABC*3-DEF*3-LL" "1xxx_0_1" "1xxx" 500 5 "ABC*3-DEF*3-LL" "2yyy_0_1" "2yyy" 600 10 "ABC*2-DEF*2-LL" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XXLMMN
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find odd numbered items from a csv

Hi, This question might seem bit confusing. Sorry for that. I have tried to express myself as clear as possible. I have a text file in following format: abc_456_def,abc_457_def,123_458_def,abc_3_459_def,zbc_123_456_def ybc_123_457_def,xbc_3_458def,ybc_124_457_def I want to check the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies
comm(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two sorted files SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
comm reads file1 and file2, which should be ordered in increasing collating sequence (see sort(1) and Environment Variables below), and produces a three-column output: Column 1: Lines that appear only in file1, Column 2: Lines that appear only in file2, Column 3: Lines that appear in both files. If is used for file1 or file2, the standard input is used. Options 1, 2, or 3 suppress printing of the corresponding column. Thus prints only the lines common to the two files; prints only lines in the first file but not in the second; does nothing useful. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the collating sequence expects from the input files. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of ``C'' (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to ``C''. See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following examples assume that and have been ordered in the collating sequence defined by the or environment variable. Print all lines common to and (in other words, print column 3): Print all lines that appear in but not in (in other words, print column 1): Print all lines that appear in but not in (in other words, print column 2): SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sdiff(1), sort(1), uniq(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
comm(1)