Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to change first line of files in directory Post 302653553 by LMHmedchem on Saturday 9th of June 2012 12:42:41 PM
Old 06-09-2012
I put this in a file in the directory with the files, added #!/usr/bin/bash to the first line, and ran it. I get an endless output of,

head: cannot open `=$ head.1' for reading: No such file or directory

It is stuck in a loop and I have to kill it.

Am I running this correctly?

LMHmedchem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files.

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files without changing permissions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mborin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Directory via a script?

I would like to have a script that would change my current working directory. However, any time I execute a 'cd' command in a script, it holds only for the life of that script -- the working directory on exit is the same as when the script was initiated. Is it possible to have the script return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: George Borrmann
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change of directory thru script

:confused: Hi All, This script is not working. I want to change the directory as per users selection in current shell. Looks like it is spawning sub-shell internally. I have used . changedir.sh source changedir.sh ./changedire.sh But did not work. Currently shell directory remain the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiningram
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory using shell script

How do u change ur directory using a shell script?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi
0 Replies

5. Linux

Change directory in a shell script

How do u change ur directory using a shell script?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change file contents line by line

Hi, I'm struggling to write a script to do the following, -will go through each line in the file -in a specific character positions, changes the value to a new value -These character positions are fixed througout the file ----------------------- e.g.: file1.sh will have the following 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vini99
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

directory change in shell script

Hi, I am trying to change the directory in my script, & want to check if the directory is present or not . Ex: cd /home/xyz/temp/logs if the logs directory is not present i want to show the error in script instead of shell script error. Can anybody please help me on the same Thx in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vls1210
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a directory in shell script?

HI, I need to change the working directory by using the shell script /Export/home/user_name I have to go one step back like /Export/home Please help on this.:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply 'awk' to all files in a directory or individual files from a command line

Hi All, I am using the awk command to replace ',' by '\t' (tabs) in a csv file. I would like to apply this to all .csv files in a directory and create .txt files with the tabs. How would I do this in a script? I have the following script called "csvtabs": awk 'BEGIN { FS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change ? char from files and directory

Hello, I must change files and dirs name which contains che "?" char, I try this: rename 's/?/-/' *.* nothing, what's the problem? thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
14 Replies
head(1) 							   User Commands							   head(1)

NAME
head - display first few lines of files SYNOPSIS
head [-number | -n number] [filename...] DESCRIPTION
The head utility copies the first number of lines of each filename to the standard output. If no filename is given, head copies lines from the standard input. The default value of number is 10 lines. When more than one file is specified, the start of each file will look like: ==> filename <== Thus, a common way to display a set of short files, identifying each one, is: example% head -9999 filename1 filename2 ... OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n number The first number lines of each input file will be copied to standard output. The number option-argument must be a positive decimal integer. -number The number argument is a positive decimal integer with the same effect as the -n number option. If no options are specified, head will act as if -n 10had been specified. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of head when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Writing the first ten lines of all files To write the first ten lines of all files (except those with a leading period) in the directory: example% head * ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of head: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), more(1), pg(1), tail(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 head(1)