Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple ways to pass variations to grep Post 302651301 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 5th of June 2012 09:51:35 AM
Old 06-05-2012
It probably depends on implementation, so you would need to find out if they matter in your case, but FWIW, a couple of times I found these to be the culprit. Perhaps because grep not only needs to create groups, but a back reference as well. In any case you do not need them here...

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-05-2012 at 11:05 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass variable to grep?

Hi I have a such conditional: SPAMH="it is SPAM" if grep -q $SPAMH $NMDIR/$mail; then SPAMHFLAG=1 else SPAMHFLAG=0 fi And grep doesn't catch this string, even it exists there. I think it's a problem with passing $SPAMH to grep. I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xist
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or other ways to output line above and/or below searched line

Hi all, Would like to know how I could search for a string 'xyz' but have the output show the line plus the line above and/or below all lines found. eg. search for xyz from file containing: abc 12345 asdf xyz asdfds wwwww kjkjkj ppppp kkkxyz eeee zzzzz and the output to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammac
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple grep Question

I tried searching for answers but didn't find any. When I grep a file results read 4.2.2.2 4.4.4.2 4.5.6.7 But I just want to select each result individually. For Example I want to be able to say variable1="first grep result" variable2="second grep result" variable3="third grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep question

This should be so easy... I want to find all the apps in /Applications that start with the lower case i (e.g. iTunes.app, iSync.app, iCal.app) They should all have the .app extension. I've tried: ls /Applications |grep -o i*.app ls /Applications/i*.app Anyhow, I just want to see what apps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to include filename with variations at the beginning of the file

Hi there, I have a bunch of files that I want to modify. As a beginner, but nevertheless enthusiast, in the use of the shell I want to create a script enabling me to modify those files quickly. I had only some partial success with various peaces of scripts but I would like to create one script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamzesh
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing all 'case' variations of a word

Hey Guys & Gals, I am trying to figure out how one would go about printing all possible variations of letter cases in a given word. So if for instance given the input "test123" output would be ; test123 Test123 TEst123 TESt123 TEST123 tEst123 tESt123 tEST123 teSt123 teST123... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TAPE
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass grep's Output to mv?

Hi! I was looking for files to clean out, and I remembered reading somewhere that you could pipe the output of grep to rm. But I prefer to mv stuff to ~/.Trash/ I thought I'd try something like this: ls ~/Library/Preferences/ |grep '.*.\.iTunes\.plist\..*' |xargs -J % mv % ~/.Trash/ I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
12 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Variations on a theme...

Well you lot seriously amaze me. There was a thread a few hours ago, (on the date stamp shown in this upload), that generated loads of solutions to a fairly simple problem:- https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/235829-how-print-particular-character-n-number-times-line.html As a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Command new Line not working Tried many variations

Hi I have assigned an output of a command to $I. I try to print the input and put a new line after occurrence of the hostname which is assigned to $HOST1 ( Example: pwrm16 ) . First of all I need to get rid of the Colon after the host name pwrm16: and make it pwrm16 then I want to print the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove matching pattern on each line with number variations

Hello folks! I have a file containing lines like this Something text 18:37Remove This: 1,111"Keep this text" Some more text 19:37Remove This: 222"Keep this text" More text 20:50Remove This: 3,333Keep this text And more text 25:50Remove This: 44,444Keep this text I would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD