Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prize of being an Admin
The Lounge War Stories Prize of being an Admin Post 302651131 by bakunin on Tuesday 5th of June 2012 04:05:40 AM
Old 06-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedkandi
..dont get me started on the 1st level support guy whom renamed a system to a single numeric value of "2" His excuse was that he wasn't aware what uname -S does in UNIX..last I checked he's still there
Well, in my last project i had such a colleague too: Once, the storage guy (also an AIX expert) wanted to do some performance tests. He created an empty LUN, imported it as hdisk device and wrote to this device directly using dd. His point was to not let the file system drivers mess up his measurement.

So far, so logical and absolutely correct. Now, enter the idiot: he saw what the storage guy did and us discussing the results. Three days later a productive system broke with some strange errors and was unable to boot again. The disks in the rootvg were damaged to an extent that even the PVID and the LVCB (partition information) were missing. It transpired, that he did "performance tests" too. But because he didn't really understand what the storage guy was doing, he didn't get himself a new and empty disk for that, but used the system disk to overwrite the first physical GB with hexadecimal zeros. Well, the disk was mirrored and the system would have survived that - but doing thorough work he did it on the second system disk too. Guess what happens, when both copies of a mirrored disk are destroyed.

We would have been able to restore the system pretty quickly using an mksysb from our central NIM server - unfortunately he had used not only the production system but this very system, our centralized software repository for all the AIX systems - for his "performance tests" too (along with a couple of other systems, but we found that out later). Most systems boot only very slowly from nulled out boot disks....

This guy is there in in systems administration for more then ten years now and this was not even the first time he did something this idiotic. Go figure.

bakunin

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

fresh admin

hi everybody i'm just recreuted as UNIX system admin... please tell me from where do i have to begin... best regards (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Tape Admin

Tape: Need tape library help please. Need to configure a remote admin card in the L100. Anything helpful.....thxs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwinix77
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

note for admin

i left a message for admin in the wrong thread.. it is in the what is on your mind thread since i can't move it or delete it.. i thought I would mention that I meant it to be in this thread.. sorry about the mistake.. thanx for your patience moxxx68 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

5. War Stories

Prize of being an Admin - Part 2

I was reading this thread of admin_xor Prize of being an Admin and thought will share this experience of mine which is kind of opposite to what he did - I didn't tell anybody what happened :D We were porting one of the subsystem from Solaris to Linux. As part of that we developed many wrapper... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
23 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
vgchgid(1M)															       vgchgid(1M)

NAME
vgchgid - modify the Volume Group ID (VGID) on a given set of physical devices SYNOPSIS
PhysicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath] ... DESCRIPTION
The command is designed to change the LVM Volume Group ID (VGID) on a supplied set of disks. will work with any type of storage, but it is primarily targeted at disk arrays that are able to create "snapshots" or "clones" of mirrored LUNs. accepts a set of raw physical devices and ensures that they all belong to the same volume group, before altering the VGID (see section). The same VGID is set on all the disks and it should be noted that in cases of multi-PV volume groups, all the physical volumes should be supplied in a single invocation of the command. Options recognizes the following options and arguments: PhysicalVolumePath The raw devices path name of a physical volume. Background Some storage subsystems have a feature which allows a user to split off a set of mirror copies of physical storage (termed or just as LVM splits off logical volumes with the command. As the result of the "split," the split-off devices will have the same VGID as the original disks. is needed to modify the VGID on the BCV devices. Once the VGID has been altered, the BCV disks can be imported into a new volume group by using WARNINGS
Once the VGID has been changed, the original VGID is lost until a disk device is re-mirrored with the original devices. If is used on a subset of disk devices (for example, two out of four disk devices), the two groups of disk devices would not be able to be imported into the same volume group since they have different VGIDs on them. The solution is to re-mirror all four of the disk devices and re-run on all four BCV devices at the same time, and then use to import them into the same new volume group. If a disk is newly added to an existing volume group and no subsequent LVM operations has been performed to alter the structures (in other words, operations which perform an automated vgcfgbackup(1M)); then it is possible a subsequent will fail. It will report that the disk does not belong to the volume group. This may be overcome by performing a structure changing operation on the volume group (for example, using It is the system administrator's responsibility to make sure that the devices provided in the command line are all Business Copy volumes of the existing standard physical volumes and are in the ready state and writable. Mixing the standard and BC volumes in the same volume group can cause data corruption. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: 0 VGID was modified with no error 1 VGID was not modified EXAMPLES
An example showing how might be used: 1. The system administrator uses the following commands to create the Business Continuity (BCV or BC) copy: 1) For EMC Symmetrix disks, the commands are and 2) For XP disk array, the commands are and Three BCV disks are created. 2. Change the VGID on the BCV disks. 3. Make a new volume group using the BCV disks. This step can be skipped as the group file will be created automatically. If the file is manually created it will have different major and minor numbers (see lvm(7)). 4. Import the BCV disks into the new volume group. 5. Activate the new volume group. 6. Backup the new volume group's LVM data structure. 7. Mount the associated logical volumes. SEE ALSO
vgimport(1M), vgscan(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M). vgchgid(1M)