Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting default permissions without umask or cron jobs Post 302646023 by Karunamon on Thursday 24th of May 2012 11:46:02 AM
Old 05-24-2012
I don't think I can do that, since the default file mask is 666. I can only reduce from there, using umask, correct? I need a way to add that final 1.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Default Permissions for Files

Hi, I am setting up an area on a unix server where multiple people will be editing web pages. Can anyone tell me how to set it up the directory and subdirectories so that when a user creates a new file, it defaults to permissions of 664 or 775? I've tried using umask but from what I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robbieg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing default permissions -without "umask"-...

Hi! My question is this: Is it possible to change the default permissions in UNIX (666 for files and 777 for directories)?. I am not talking about using the command "umask". I mean, with the command "umask" you can modify permissions from a default permissions x. Is it possible to make... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicoGuapo
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Setting environment variables within cron jobs!!

Is it possible to use environment variables within cron jobs. I am using a cron job to run a c program at regular intervals. The C program uses a library and i have set the library path in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. But when i ran the job i got the error library not found!! Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atheek
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

umask setting

dear all, i'm trying to set the default permission using umask commnd. i'm using bash shell and the permission of the .bash_profile file is -rwxr-x--- 1 tdmscrdr dba 370 Nov 7 12:21 .bash_profile but still i'm not able to change the default permissiom. in the .bash_profile... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panknil
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing and setting up cron jobs

How can I list the existing cron jobs in my system, and then how can I add my script to the cron jobs list? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UMASK setting

How can we set the Sticky bit in the umask itself. Please help me :confused: I tried to set like umask 1000 but when I run umask, the value of umask is 00 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geniman2004
0 Replies

7. AIX

default umask setting during ftp

Hi all, How do i change the default primary group of files uploaded in AIX (via ftp) in such a way that the files will be owned by tom:staff? I understand that the default file permission can be set in /etc/profile for aix by adding a new line umask=032 Do I add a line in umask as well?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting umask 022 by default to my profile

Hello everyone, I want to set my properties of my profile to umask 022 by default. I have an idea that i need to make the change in .profile file. Can you please help me, on how would i be able to set it. Thanks, Abhishek S. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default umask setting during ftp AIX

Hi, I have set below option in following file /etc/inetd.conf in AIX. ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd -u 2 But still it created the file with permission (640): -rw-r----- 1 ftptosas ftpusrg 6091 Jul 28 12:23 diff_061920.txt Required permission... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mageshpsv01
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Umask to generate files with rwx permissions for all

i need my script1.sh to generate /tmp/temp.txt with full permissions i.e -rwxrwxrwx 1 user1 users 23 Dec 16 10:52 /tmp/temp.txtmore script1.sh umask 666 echo "hello">/tmp/temp.txt But the script1.sh generates temp.txt with different permissions as shown below. -rwxr-xr-x 1 user1 users... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
umask(2)							   System Calls 							  umask(2)

NAME
umask - set and get file creation mask SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> mode_t umask(mode_t cmask); DESCRIPTION
The umask() function sets the process's file mode creation mask to cmask and returns the previous value of the mask. Only the access per- mission bits of cmask and the file mode creation mask are used. The mask is inherited by child processes. See intro(2) for more information on masks. RETURN VALUES
The previous value of the file mode creation mask is returned. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkdir(1), sh(1), intro(2), chmod(2), creat(2), mknod(2), open(2), stat.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Dec 1996 umask(2)