Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX FAULTY DISK replacement HP rx4640 Post 302645571 by methyl on Wednesday 23rd of May 2012 05:53:11 PM
Old 05-23-2012
Assuming that the disc cannot be recovered by restoring power or plugging a cable in.

First impression is that all you need is to quiesce any applications (i.e. stop the lot) then:

1) Swap the dead disc for a new blank HP-supplied disc which will not have any previous LVM information on it whatsover.

2) Run ioscan -fn and check that the disc has changed from NO_HW to CLAIMED.
If it doesn't recover then you need a hardware engineer to look at the computer in depth.

3) Check the size of the disc with diskinfo and compare with the output of the same command for the good disc (very important, must be equal to or fractionally greater than the size of the good disc). If the disc is small, get another one and do not proceed.

4) Run the vgcfgrestore to the new disc.
Then, make volume group active again:
vgchange -a y vg00
Wait for 5 mins.

5) If you don't find that vgsync is already running (check ps -ef) then issue vgsync vg00.

6) Keep an eye on /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for progress (it only makes an entry when a sync has completed). This could take several hours.

7) Check periodically on the sync status of all partitions. (Others have posted the commands).

8) When all the partition syncs are complete, relax and start the applications.

Last edited by methyl; 05-23-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: layout, typos, more typos, add vgchange (important)
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Disk replacement with svm

I dont even know what raid level this is, but its raid 5 mirrored from the looks of it. I have a failed disk (t12) within this mirror. What is the best way to replace this disk? 2 things concern me, isn't there a command to prepare the disk for a hot swap? and what should i do with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

2. AIX

Removing Faulty Disk SSA

Hi Experts, I have configured A D40 Array. There is an faulty disk which is not part of an raid volume but shows fault in the diagnostics. pdisk15 U0.1-P1-I1/Q1-W40AA83CC2400D SSA160 Physical Disk Drive ( MB) Is there a way to stop this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vuppala360
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Help with faulty Disk on Sun OS

Hi, Recently i came across a disk that seems to be faulty and need help. I have gathered some information by running below commands and any help on how to solve this will be great. # uname –a SunOS XYZ 5.7 Generic_106541-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 #df -k Filesystem kbytes used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Remove Faulty disk from HP-UX LVM VG

Requirement to remove a faulty mirrored disk from hp-ux LVM <root@pdwp1s>/etc # vgdisplay -v /dev/vg00 vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c2t0d0": The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to this volume group vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
9 Replies

5. HP-UX

Remove faulty disk LV from VG

Hi, Have mirrored the primary disk to 3 . Server and OS: # uname -a HP-UX pdwp1s B.11.11 U 9000/800 118434630 unlimited-user license # model 9000/800/L3000-7x # strings /etc/lvmtab /dev/vg00 +F@< /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0 /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 But now I have only 1 disk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
5 Replies

6. Solaris

[solved] How to blink faulty disk in Solaris hardware?

Hi Guys, One of two disks in my solaris machine has failed, the name is disk0, this is SUN physical sparc machine But I work remotely, so people working near that physical server are not that technical, so from OS command prompt can run some command to bink faulty disk at front panel of Server.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
9 Replies

7. AIX

Disk replacement on SharedVG.

Hi, One of my disk is in 'disk missing state'. It is a sharedVG and cluster nodes. The errpt keeps reporting stale partition error. lvs are in open/stale state. In this sceanario is replacing the disk the best practice? When i do a lsdev the disk is labelled as below. hdisk3 Available ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrya
1 Replies

9. AIX

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrya
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Show faulty shows PS1 faulty

I plugged both power cables in both power supply. When I unplugged each power cable one by one, the SPARC T4-1 machine keep running. However, show faulty command shows below message. (I have also attached the picture of both power supply) -> show faulty Target ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
1 Replies
QUOTA(2)							System Calls Manual							  QUOTA(2)

NAME
quota - manipulate disk quotas SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/quota.h> quota(cmd, uid, arg, addr) int cmd, uid, arg; char *addr; DESCRIPTION
The quota call manipulates disk quotas for file systems that have had quotas enabled with setquota(2). The cmd parameter indicates a com- mand to be applied to the user ID uid. Arg is a command specific argument and addr is the address of an optional, command specific, data structure that is copied in or out of the system. The interpretation of arg and addr is given with each command below. Q_SETDLIM Set disc quota limits and current usage for the user with ID uid. Arg is a major-minor device indicating a particular file system. Addr is a pointer to a struct dqblk structure (defined in <sys/quota.h>). This call is restricted to the super-user. Q_GETDLIM Get disc quota limits and current usage for the user with ID uid. The remaining parameters are as for Q_SETDLIM. Q_SETDUSE Set disc usage limits for the user with ID uid. Arg is a major-minor device indicating a particular file system. Addr is a pointer to a struct dqusage structure (defined in <sys/quota.h>). This call is restricted to the super-user. Q_SYNC Update the on-disc copy of quota usages. Arg is a major-minor device indicating the file system to be sync'ed. If the arg parame- ter is specified as NODEV, all file systems that have disc quotas will be sync'ed. The uid and addr parameters are ignored. Q_SETUID Change the calling process's quota limits to those of the user with ID uid. The arg and addr parameters are ignored. This call is restricted to the super-user. Q_SETWARN Alter the disc usage warning limits for the user with ID uid. Arg is a major-minor device indicating a particular file system. Addr is a pointer to a struct dqwarn structure (defined in <sys/quota.h>). This call is restricted to the super-user. Q_DOWARN Warn the user with user ID uid about excessive disc usage. This call causes the system to check its current disc usage information and print a message on the terminal of the caller for each file system on which the user is over quota. If the user is under quota, his warning count is reset to MAX_*_WARN (defined in <sys/quota.h>). If the arg parameter is specified as NODEV, all file systems that have disc quotas will be checked. Otherwise, arg indicates a specific major-minor device to be checked. This call is restricted to the super-user. RETURN VALUE
A successful call returns 0, otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno indicates the reason for the failure. ERRORS
A quota call will fail when one of the following occurs: [EINVAL] The kernel has not been compiled with the QUOTA option. [EINVAL] Cmd is invalid. [ESRCH] No disc quota is found for the indicated user. [EPERM] The call is priviledged and the caller was not the super-user. [ENODEV] The arg parameter is being interpreted as a major-minor device and it indicates an unmounted file system. [EFAULT] An invalid addr is supplied; the associated structure could not be copied in or out of the kernel. [EUSERS] The quota table is full. SEE ALSO
setquota(2), quotaon(8), quotacheck(8) BUGS
There should be some way to integrate this call with the resource limit interface provided by setrlimit(2) and getrlimit(2). The Australian spelling of disk is used throughout the quota facilities in honor of the implementors. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1986 QUOTA(2)