Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Calling Patterns of ".*" from a file Post 302645407 by A-V on Wednesday 23rd of May 2012 11:06:32 AM
Old 05-23-2012
Question Calling Patterns of ".*" from a file

I used to create a file to read my patterns and call them with grep but now I want to use different sort of patterns and it does not work with a list on a accept file
Code:
Grep –F  –f acceptfile.txt mainfile.txt > outputfile.txt

I have a data like this as they are in sequence of 5
The box of tissues out of
The book, the pen and the

I have a list of words (the, of, and) and I am looking for a pattern of
The.* the
The.* of
The.* and

note: I seem to have problem with of and off and coffee as well Smilie

Basically a loop to go through each of them one by one…
Not sure if that’s possible but even if not I am more than happy to predefine all my patterns in the file
But now that I put that patterns in the file and call them, the output file is empty
Can you tell me what am I doing wrong ?
Thank you in advance
A-V

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any way to "alias" file patterns for use in a command?

First, I apologize for my 'noobness' with Linux and the shell. I'm running Ubuntu with zsh as my shell. What I'd like to be able to do is clean up a messy Downloads folder by moving categories of files to different directories with something like: mv dir/$vids dest mv dir/$music dest mv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apollo33
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
IBUS-TABLE-CREATEDB(1)													    IBUS-TABLE-CREATEDB(1)

NAME
ibus-table-createdb - create ibus-table database from table source SYNOPSIS
ibus-table-createdb [ [ -n name ] [ --name name ] ] [ [ -s source ] [ --source source ] ] [ [ -e extra ] [ --extra extra ] ] [ [ -p pinyin ] [ --pinyin pinyin ] ] [ -o ] [ --no-create-index ] [ -i ] [ --create-index-only ] [ -d ] [ --debug ] DESCRIPTION
ibus-table-createdb creates a database for ibus-table from a source table. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -n database-file specifies the file name for the binary database for the IME. The default is ''. If the file name of the database is not specified, the file name of the source file before the first '.' will be appended with '.db' and that will be used as the file name of the database. -s source-file specifies the file which contains the source of the IME. The default is ''. -e extra-words-file specifies the file name for the extra words for the IME. The default is ''. -p pinyin-file specifies the source file for the pinyin. The default is '/usr/share/ibus-table/data/pinyin_table.txt.bz2'. -o Do not create an index for a database (Only for distribution purposes, a normal user should not use this flag!) -i Only create an index for an existing database. Specifying the file name of the binary database with the -n or --name option is required when this option is used. -d Print extra debug messages. EXAMPLES
ibus-table-createdb -n ipa-x-sampa.db -s ipa-x-sampa.txt Create the binary database ``ipa-x-sampa.db'' from the source file ``ipa-x-sampa.txt''. ibus-table-createdb -i -n ipa-x-sampa.db Create an index for the database ``ipa-x-sampa.db''. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com>. Apr 18, 2013 IBUS-TABLE-CREATEDB(1)