Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count lines and use if then ksh Post 302645031 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 23rd of May 2012 01:34:48 AM
Old 05-23-2012
Further to this you can leave out the cat and the pipe
Code:
count=$(wc -l < /from/file/data.txt)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count certain lines

Hi! I have a file that looks like this: AAG ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Number of residues in the repeat = 3 AGA ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Number of residues in the repeat = 3 AGG ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesa1230
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with grep & count in ksh

Hello, I have input file with queue names No.esprd.Queue|No.esdev.Queue|||n|120|No_User||No_User| No.esdev.Queue|No.esdev.Queue|||n|120|No_User||No_User| I have to check if the input file contains word "esprd" and the number of times it occurs. I will have to do further... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Green_Star
22 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh Searching for a string within a file and keeping a count= get the following Sample01=: command

I have a script that goes through a 24 hr logfile, And i want to count the instances of a Test01 to 83 and output the sum of all the instances over 24hrs #/bin/ksh cat $parse_data | awk '/'$time$i'/ {for(x=0; x<=16; x++) {getline; print}print "--" }' > _hr.txt for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k00061804
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Split String into smaller substrings based on count

KSH HP-SOL-Lin Cannot use xAWK I have several strings that are quite long and i want to break them down into smaller substrings. What I have String = "word1 word2 word3 word4 .....wordx" What I want String1="word1 word2" String2="word 3 word4" String3="word4 word5" Stringx="wordx... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines

Hello, I have a file with two columns like the following FILE1: chr1 61042 chr1 61153 chr1 61446 chr1 61457 chr1 61621 chr10 61646 chr10 61914 chr10 62024 chr10 62782 Alos, I have another file FILE2: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkk
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines in section

I am tiring to cont numbers of line between the "!" in CISCO routers I have no problem to extract the input and change the empty line with ! ! 5 Cable5/0/1 U0 4 5 Cable5/0/1 U1 4 ! 5 Cable5/0/1 U2 4 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharong
4 Replies

10. AIX

UNIX ksh - To print the PID number and repeat count

This question is asked in an interview today that I have to return output with each PID number and the count of each PID number logged today. Here is the script that I have written. Can you confirm if that would work or not. The interviewer didn't said if my answer is correct or not. Can someone... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subodh Kumar
5 Replies
uniq(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   uniq(1)

Name
       uniq - report repeated lines in a file

Syntax
       uniq [-udc[+n][-n]] [input[output]]

Description
       The  command  reads  the  input	file comparing adjacent lines.	In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are
       removed; the remainder is written on the output file.  Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found.  For further  infor-
       mation, see

Options
       The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison:

-n Skips specified number of fields.  A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab characters separated by tabs and spaces from its
	  neighbors.

+n Skips specified number of characters in addition to fields.  Fields are skipped before characters.

-c Displays number of repetitions, if any, for each line.

-d Displays only lines that were repeated.

-u Displays only unique (nonrepeated) lines.

If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output.  The -d option specifies  that  one  copy	of
       just the repeated lines is to be written.  The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs.

The  -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of
       times it occurred.

See Also
       comm(1), sort(1)

uniq(1)