Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search a directory for files that contain pathnames Post 302643733 by tester213 on Sunday 20th of May 2012 01:12:50 PM
Old 05-20-2012
Search a directory for files that contain pathnames

Hello, I really don't know if this is possible, but I figured the wonderful users of unix.com may be able to provide me with some help/suggestions.

I want to create a (bash) script that would go will accept an input file. That input file contains important information as well as pathnames. For example,

Code:
filler
filler
path/to/file2.txt
filler

For the filler information, I need to parse (which I have already done). However, if the script sees that one of the lines is a pathname, go to that file, and repeat the process.

Therefore, file1.txt would see "path/to/file2.txt" and go to that file. File2 would then be parsed to see if it contains any pathnames etc. This repeats until no more paths are found. Is this possible?

edit- This was posted in Unix of Advanced & Expert Users by mistake. Sorry for the error!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search all files and sub directory

I wanted to search in all the sub directories under /vob/project (recurse) in everything inside /vob/project. search.run for x in `cat search.strings` do find /vob/project -type f -print | xargs grep -i $x > ~/$x.txt done search.string hello whoami I am getting the error ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva_jm
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for certain word in a files from directory

hi can i know how to get the file name of any files containing for example "abc" from a number of files in a directory? i tried "ls -ltrc | grep abc" but no resulted generated. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: legato
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do search and replace on text files in directory

I was google searching and found Perl as a command line utility tool This almost solves my problem: find . | xargs perl -p -i.old -e 's/oldstring/newstring/g' I think this would create a new file for every file in my directory tree. Most of my files will not contain oldstring and I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a text within files in a directory

I need to search for a particular string. This string might be present in many files. The directory in which I am present has more than one subdirectories. Hence, the search should check in all the subdirectories and all the corresponding files and give a list of files which have the particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pakspan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string

Hi Guys, I want to search the content of all the files (of a particular type like .txt) in a directory for a specific string pattern. Can anyone help me? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search files by time in this directory

Hello dears, In my home directory (msc-loader) there are some files like this: # ls -l -rwxrwxrwx 1 user dba 1680318 Jan 20 13:32 103386_s.c -rwxrwxrwx 1 user dba 256743 Jan 20 13:37 103387_o.c -rwxrwxrwx 1 user dba 1635363 Jan 20 13:39 103387_s.c -rwxrwxrwx 1 user dba 264735 Jan 20... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search files in directory for keywords using bash

I have ~100 text files in a directory that I am trying to parse and output to a new file. I am looking for the words chr,start,stop,ref,alt in each of the files. Those fields should appear somewhere in those files. The first two fields of each new set of rows is also printed. Since this is on a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory.?

Hi All, How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory. If I use grep -i 'hello' *.* It will search for the string hello in the files of current directory. But I want to check for the string hello in the files of all the directories. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)