Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: uniq -c in the pipeline
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting uniq -c in the pipeline Post 302643581 by mirni on Sunday 20th of May 2012 12:32:10 AM
Old 05-20-2012
Quote:
If you want your expected results, first sort, then uniq, then sort again.
No need for the last sort, it's already sorted.

O(nlog(n)) is so close to O(n), that sorting does not make much difference at all. And everything is fully disclosed in the documentation, you just have to read carefully -- every word can have significant meaning.

It is not half-assed at all, again you are missing an important point -- this is so that you can filter huge outputs without worrying about memory limitation. It is cleverly designed to be as useful as possible.

Glad I could help. (And I don't drink, but thanks! Smilie )
This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C program help please! input from pipeline

I have a project where I have to use bzcat to uncompress a file and use that output as the data to run another program on. I understand that you would do (bzcat filename.bz2 ! program name) but then how do you access that data in the c program??? Please help thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinggizmo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Pipeline help

Does anyone know how to answer this? I have tried many different commands, I just cant get it right..... Search the file 'data' for all of the lines that contain the pattern 'unx122' and put those lines in the file 'matches'. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comments within a shell pipeline

I've got a very ugly pipeline for analyzing web server logs (but nevermind the application; I've come across this in other scripts as well). I want to nicely comment the steps in the pipeline, but I can't seem to do it. I know, for instance that in csh/sh/bash, a # begins a comment, and any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining Pipeline values

Hi, I am trying to calculate a few values using the below code but it dosent seem to be working. for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 do j=`expr $i + 3` x =`head -$j temp1|tail -1|cut -f24 -d","` y =`head -$j temp1|tail -1|cut -f25 -d","` c =`expr $x / $y` echo "$c" >> cal_1 done I am not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinnayyar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell pipeline help for a n00b

I need to read input from a file, and make sure nothing prints after column 72. basically, ignore input after character 72 until the next newline character. Any help is appreciated. I have been searching forever! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gbear
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the delimiter from Comma to Pipeline

Hello All, I need to convert a csv file to pipeline delimiter file in UNIX. The data in file itself contains comma with double qouted qualifier apart from the comma separator. Let me know how to do it. Appreciate any help if awk can be used to do it. Mentioned below is the sample record of... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with pipeline

Hi Can anybody please explain me the following script in detail Value=`echo "if ( ${FACTOR} >= 1 ) {1}" | bc` What does "{1}" mean to here ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command pipeline trouble

Hello, I am attempting to ssh to a server and run a set of commands on a remote set of servers. I am getting the following error below, I am thinking quotes may be the problem. This command works on the local machine in bash. Not when I ssh to a remote server. Basically the command should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cat and pipeline to execute script

hi this is a homework assignment i need some help with it mostly works. script file #!/usr/bin/env bash #create dictionary file grep -E '.{3}' /usr/share/dict/british-english > db.txt #create remove_word to test file touch removeW.txt #palindrome function palin() { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crepe6
1 Replies
SORTBIB(1)						      General Commands Manual							SORTBIB(1)

NAME
sortbib - sort bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
sortbib [ -sKEYS ] database ... DESCRIPTION
Sortbib sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys. Records may be separated by blank lines, or by .[ and .] delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together. This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields, which are sorted separately. The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records. These records are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so sortbib may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input. By default, sortbib alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date. The -s option is used to specify new KEYS. For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date. Sort keys past the fourth are not meaningful. No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time. Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated. Sortbib sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name. A word in the final position, such as ``jr.'' or ``ed.'', will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma. Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions can be sorted correctly by using the nroff convention ``'' in place of a blank. A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except sorting begins with the first, not the last, word. Sortbib sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year. It also ignores lead- ing articles (like ``A'' or ``The'') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any modern European lan- guage. If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, sortbib places that record before other records containing that field. SEE ALSO
refer(1), addbib(1), roffbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1) AUTHORS
Greg Shenaut, Bill Tuthill BUGS
Records with missing author fields should probably be sorted by title. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 SORTBIB(1)