Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting making find/sed to include directory names with spaces Post 302641563 by vanessafan99 on Wednesday 16th of May 2012 09:07:15 AM
Old 05-16-2012
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory names that contain spaces and other suggestions?

The script below was written to select files and convert a particular string to something other and replace that file. However, I came across some issues with filenames that contain spaces, any suggestions to get around this? Any other suggestions that may apply to this code would also be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
5 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

changing multiple directory names w/ sed

ive looked and couldnt find an answer... can someone tell me how i can replace spaces and characters with an "_" on multiple folders? thanx muchly. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RahJiggah
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the length of file names in a directory?

Hi, how can find length of file names in a directory. Examp: I have a directory with name "d1". directory: d1 files: aaa.log bbb.log abcd.log abcdef.log I wold like out put like: file name legnth aaa.log 3 bbb.log 3 abcd.log 4 abcdef.log 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Directory from array of file names with paths

I have a script that generates a variable with the location of a file and its complete path. What i want to do is to "cd" to the directory where that file is located using the path name of the file. GIS has absolutely failed me. For example when i run my script it generates a variable called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Knome
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory

I would need a command for finding first 15000 of the file names whose 25th postion is 5 in the current directory alone. I do have this painful command find . -name '5*' | head -15000 | cut -c3- please refine this. Of course the above command also searches in the sub directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find empty files in a directory and write their file names in a text?

I need to find empty files in a directory and write them into a text file. Directory will contain old files as well, i need to get the empty files for the last one hour only. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find all files which has names in uppercase in a directory

i want to display all the files which has their names in the Uppercase in a particular directory...guide.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheelsadan
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with sed replace script to include spaces

I've got a sed shell script I've been using for quite a while to do batch find/replace operations on .xml files containing various types of text entries. This is the script I use: #!/bin/bash while read text_old text_new; do sed_script+="s/$text_old/$text_new/g;" done < trans_old_to_new... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agreppa
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Command Include Sub Directory

This script writes the output files to FILES but I don't want to exclude all directories from ABC_CHQ and LYS_ADV, I want to include one sub directory name process which is under ABC_CHQ and LYS_ADV in the search. Right now its excluding everything from prune directories such as ABC_CHQ, LYS_ADV... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: John William
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with shell script while spaces encountered in directory names

Hi, I am having issues with the jar -tf command when I put in the shell script. The command runs fine from the command line as shown below. # jar -tf "./VirtualBox Dropped Files/2016-04-17T20:58:49.129139000Z/hive-exec-0.8.1.jar" But when I put in a shell script(shown below) and the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoo128
10 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - change working directory SYNOPSIS
[directory] DESCRIPTION
If directory is not specified, the value of shell parameter is used as the new working directory. If directory specifies a complete path starting with or directory becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the shell variable. has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the shell variable. must have execute (search) permission in directory. exists only as a shell built-in command because a new process is created whenever a command is executed, making useless if written and pro- cessed as a normal system command. Moreover, different shells provide different implementations of as a built-in utility. Features of as described here may not be supported by all the shells. Refer to individual shell manual entries for differences. If is called in a subshell or a separate utility execution environment such as: (which invokes on accessible directories) does not affect the current directory of the caller's environment. Another usage of as a stand- alone command is to obtain the exit status of the command. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, searches for directory relative to each directory named in the variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current direc- tory. If is not set, it is treated as if it was an empty string. EXAMPLES
Change the current working directory to the directory from any location in the file system: Change to new current working directory residing in the current directory: or Change to directory residing in the current directory's parent directory: Change to the directory whose absolute pathname is Change to the directory relative to home directory: RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. The working directory remains unchanged. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chdir(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cd(1)