Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending command from one terminal to another. Post 302641011 by Corona688 on Tuesday 15th of May 2012 02:08:49 PM
Old 05-15-2012
Terminals don't evaluate anything as commands.

Problem: When writing to the terminal, it goes to the screen. When reading from the terminal, it comes from the keyboard. That's just how it works.

To give arbitrary input to a terminal, you have to arrange to have the program run inside a virtual terminal you control. That's one thing the expect language can arrange for you...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending messages through terminal

whats the cmd to send messages using terminal to another computer on our network? We are running SOlaris CDE (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: korupt
5 Replies

2. Programming

Sending INtr key for remote terminal

Hi folks, Just wondering if anyone knows how to send intr/break key to remote tty (shell), a simple example would be great! thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending a null character to a terminal

I'm testing out some ESMTP AUTH stuff, and it requires that the username and password be on the same line separated by a null character. Does anyone know how to echo the ASCII null character? Thanks, Alex (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Plz Help : How to use write command to execute command on some other terminal

Hi Group , I m trying to execute commands on some other system using write command but inspite of executing the commands they r passed as simple messages. - i m writing >write user-id ! ls o ctrl-d inspite of executing the command ls,other terminal shows ! ls. Thnx in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aashish
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending message to terminal

hi all i have script #!/bin/bash cd /usr3/prod grep ERROR /usr3/prod/ind.log > /usr3/prod/ind_err.log if test -s /usr3/prod/ind_err.log then echo "error during process" else echo "process succeed" fi i want that this message(echo) will be display one time at the top of the screen... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is command line invocation of gnome-terminal to run more than one command possible?

Hello, I am trying to learn how to pass something more than a one-command startup for gnome-terminal. I will give an example of what I'm trying to do here: #! /bin/bash # #TODO write this for gnome and xterm USAGE=" ______________________________________________ ${0##*/} run... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending output of one command to several others?

I know how I can pipe any output to another command thats easy |. What i'm trying to do is send several addresses to the same command over and over again. Essentially what I want to do is do an nslookup on an address and then take the resulting IP(s) and send each of those IP's to another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending Mail in OS X Terminal

Hi All! I would like your assistance with an issue that I have been having with OS X (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) and sending mail through the Terminal. I had been trying to send mail from Terminal to my GMail account from my home, where I have a Verizon DSL Internet connection routed through a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: danielsutton
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies

10. Linux

Terminal command

I need to execute apt-cdrom to designate the pendrive using LM 18.3x 'live". (instead of CD-Rom) Rick (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 69Rixter
7 Replies
NCURSES_HAS_COLORS(3)							 1						     NCURSES_HAS_COLORS(3)

ncurses_has_colors - Checks if terminal has color capabilities

SYNOPSIS
bool ncurses_has_colors (void ) DESCRIPTION
Checks whether the terminal has color capabilities. This function can be used to write terminal-independent programs. ncurses must be ini- tialized using ncurses_init(3) before calling this function. PARAMETERS
This function has no parameters. RETURN VALUES
Return TRUE if the terminal has color capabilities, FALSE otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Writing a string with a specified color to the screen <?php ncurses_init(); // If the terminal supports colors, initialize and set active color if (ncurses_has_colors()) { ncurses_start_color(); ncurses_init_pair(1, NCURSES_COLOR_YELLOW, NCURSES_COLOR_BLUE); ncurses_color_set(1); } // Write a string at specified location ncurses_mvaddstr(10, 10, "Hello world! Yellow on blue text!"); // Flush output to screen ncurses_refresh(); ncurses_end(); ?> SEE ALSO
ncurses_can_change_color(3), ncurses_start_color(3). PHP Documentation Group NCURSES_HAS_COLORS(3)